Not Feminism 101

Aside from my discomfort at a rich white guy using the N* word, what does this make black women?

4 Likes

http://2static3.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/6194575+_7c406e2a7634c29094a324d8a235c8ae.jpg

7 Likes

“Woman is the slave to the slave”.

He also did this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp9StQhWGdc

3 Likes

At that point in his life, John was not pulling punches in his music.

6 Likes

True…

Same point as this, I’d guess.

2 Likes

Is this where I admit that I never liked John Lennon much, nor his crappy music?

2 Likes

Go right ahead, though that strikes me as pretty harsh. “Working Class Hero” is greatness, and I’ve long liked this one.

Also has that great line, “Life is what happens to you when you’re busy making other plans.” (And I don’t much care that similar lines appeared earlier.)

3 Likes

I don’t like him or his music though. I’m specifically separating the man from the music, because I think he was a pretty indefensible human being. As for his music, I might be being a little harsh. I was never that into him, and there are many better artists from the same period IMO, but I wouldn’t say I hate his music, just that I never particularly liked it as a whole.

3 Likes

If you want to.

2 Likes

I kind of know what you mean. I have friends and relatives who slavishly adore everything he ever recorded (not accusing anyone here of that, mind). For one person in particular, any discussion of Lennon begins and ends with the word “genius”. They simply cannot unpack the word to acknowledge any nuances.

For me, Lennon is either on or off. Either I like what he sang or wrote or I don’t.

WINOTW I can get into, with the caveat that it’s of its time and not of now.

Mother I can’t get into, because Lennon is on record for saying his aunt and uncle did a perfectly good job raising him. Living with non-parental relatives wasn’t exactly unheard of (and really, it still isn’t, especially for people of his generation or slightly older.

5 Likes

He wrote about what he wanted to write about, whether it was cheesy love, or anger over his mom being dead, or nonsense, and so on and so forth…

1 Like

But it’s also on record that his mom got hit by the trolley right after visiting Mimi and him.

Really? Haven’t heard that before.

“The Love You Make”, by Peter Brown with Steven Gaines, and I think “A Twist of Lennon” by Cynthia has it. Also, “John”, by Cynthia before she died, has lots about his half-family that Julia and Twitchy, her partner before she died, had together.

1 Like

It makes us doubly afflicted, by both racism and sexism.

Add in being biracial, and you have a whole other layer of issues and unfair bias to deal with.

23 Likes

Reddit is both the worst kind of discussion forum as well as the best to cite when normal human disbelief compells one to say, “No one actually believes that. They can’t. Oh shit. That’s actually a thing.”

18 Likes

Unless you’re absolutely sure there’s no class of entity or entities that could answer to the name ‘God’, why not go by agnostic?

Pretty sure douchebros haven’t claimed that one.

3 Likes

I’ve never worked that one out.
In the Roman tradition, Mars (god of war) is associated with iron (brown) and the colour red. Venus is associated with copper, but the planet is slightly bluish and later on the traditional colour of the Virgin Mary (the successor to Venus in mythology) is blue. (Copper bronze in antiquity was used for mirrors, and copper compounds are mostly blue.) Traditional British Army uniforms were red. I can recall in the 1960s and 70s pink striped shirts for men were definitely OK - I had some - and men’s suits often had at least one pink thread in the pattern.

At some point in the 20th century there seems to have been a reversal. Was it perhaps started by Corporate America and its passion for blue?

I mention this just to show that fluidity of how gender is perceived has a long history.

I am confidently 100% sure that the various classes of deity claimed by different Abrahamic religions are totally nonexistent and that in any case I don’t care for them, so to that extent I classify myself as an atheist. I’m only an agnostic in respect of why and how there comes to be a universe at all, and that’s not what the typical agnostic means.
But I’m also definitely not a humanist - to me that’s still a theological error, the idea that there is something special about us as a species. As well be a pongist or a leonist.
However, on one issue I am in complete agreement with the recorded sayings of Jesus; and that is that what matters is not what goes into people but what comes out of them. I’m far more interested in the questions people ask than their certainties.

5 Likes

It was also an old-school European Catholic thing to have children of either gender wear long white robes and not cut their hair until they’ve had their First Communion. So, somewhere, there’s a picture of my grandpa with long hair and a white dress.

I’ve heard that pink is too intense a color for little girls, but that’s always been coming from people my grandparents’ age. By the 1980s, this had been completely reversed.

9 Likes

Marketing.

“It is generally thought it was simply because if parents followed such a color scheme, they would have to buy a whole new wardrobe and set of baby accessories in the “appropriate” colors if they had a boy and a girl at some point, rather than just going with reusing the one set for both as before.”

12 Likes