Not Feminism 101

I admit that at first, it was just nice to read about something that didn’t involve the threat of nuclear war, climate change, or racism.

Then it finally clicked that yeah, it was creepy.

“Strangers find common ground and ensure their flight is pleasant!” should not be remarkable news.

7 Likes

Also, it shouldn’t be 1) worth eavesdropping on, and 2) worth telling literally the whole goddamn world about even if it was worth eavesdropping.

Plus there’s all this speculation about what they did in the bathroom, and you guessed it, it’s all aimed at her.

5 Likes

I saw this, and found the first couple tweets to be cute. I didn’t finish the thread, because it got creepy real fast.

5 Likes

Not just drunken aggression…

3 Likes
10 Likes

That article makes an excellent point about exploitation, but the statement it self isn’t entirely accurate.

Someone who ends up “famous” because they happened to get caught on camera and the video clip goes viral still has more of an expectation of “privacy” than someone who chooses a career that makes them into a public figure.

10 Likes

Whenever I find you, Ryan, you better be goddamn sorry.

You do not take “trophy pics” without people’s consent.
You should definitely not send it to your bestie and then subsequently send it to her bestie
You should definitely not ghost

You broke Chel’s heart. Prepare to cry.

9 Likes

That’s awful. What the hell is wrong with people?

7 Likes

And then from another point of view:

12 Likes

This thread:

11 Likes

That guy almost makes me want to join twitter just so I can follow him.

8 Likes

Twitter’s URL + the tweep’s handle will always bring up their timeline (if public), no account required.

https://www.twitter.com/absurdistwords

in this case.

3 Likes

This makes a good point about toilet facilities in particular, but also about public spaces in general.

10 Likes

We always joke at the tech conferences I tend to frequent that it is one of the few times that the men are queuing up for the bathroom and the women can come and go as they please.

It’s almost like there is some male dominated societal hierarchy one would think.

10 Likes

So two people co-author a book. One is a man, the other is a woman.

NPR interviews both authors at the same time.

Then they only use interview clips from the male author. And then they only mention his name with regards to the authorship of the book.

And then they only wrote back to the male author when both authors complain, and call it an “oversight”.

I can’t even.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/All-Things-Ill-Considered-/243865#comments-anchor

15 Likes

I’ve had this sinking feeling for awhile that NPR is actually right-wing at its core and this whole crunchy-liberal thing they do is all an act.

8 Likes

I don’t listen to enough NPR to comment about that, but certainly that seems the case sometimes at the CBC coughGhomeshicough. Maybe not so much right-wing as left-wing asshats who talk the talk but don’t walk the walk.

7 Likes

I tried to listen to his show, but I really couldn’t. Even over the air he came across as a huge creeper.

I thought he lost his show a long time ago though…

Quite possibly the kinds of asshats who pretend to be liberal because it’s in fashion, but are really more than okay with right-wing bigotry and cryptofascism as long as they still benefit from it. I am surrounded by these asshats.

6 Likes

Public radio is a whole ecosystem of different institutions. Your local station can source content from PRI or PRX or WNYC or a zillion other places. The actual NPR-branded stuff, like All Things Considered, is not great.

And I think I read somewhere that NPR was originally created to undermine Pacifica?

Kinda like there are breakfast programs in schools now so the Black Panthers don’t do it.

6 Likes

Turns out the line is awfully short for the Ladies at Brookhaven National Lab, too.

5 Likes