Not Feminism 101

Yes!

16 Likes

Possible trigger warning, as it talks about rape and other forms of abuse.

11 Likes

I cannot coherently express my feelings after reading that.

JFC.

11 Likes
7 Likes
11 Likes

Well, obviously, they don’t mean those kind of standards. They mean white-people standards. You know, the absolute lowest common denominator.

6 Likes

Straws would be easiest dealt with if it worked like shopping bags. Ask if the person wants a straw with that, same way cashiers ask if you’d like a bag.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, there would still be the jerks going off on anyone who got one and “didn’t look like they needed it”. Because when it comes to ableism, suddenly not only is everyone a doctor, they’re your own personal doctor who knows your entire medical history.

6 Likes

That’s only because straws were cast as something only disabled people need to use in the first place. If it were just ho hum, some people use 'em, some don’t, the judges couldn’t be as judgy.

Me, I’m a cloth shopping bag fanatic and always have at least two on me. It’s not just about reducing plastic waste, though – it encourages me to buy no more than two bags of stuff at once, which saves me from back pain.

3 Likes

I think I have mentioned I use a plastic box I keep in my car (yes, I drive to the grocery store… or to be more specific, I stop at one of the grocery stores I pass going to and from work, because despite making what is on paper a decent wage, I cannot afford to live in the community in which I work). But it’s not about environmental friendliness. That’s just a side effect. The real reason is that I don’t need them cluttering up my apartment, and it’s easier to remember to put stuff away when it’s in a big fricken’ box than hidden in a couple of bags in the corner.

But I am not going to snarl or shame someone who uses plastic bags, either. Unfortunately, too many people do.

5 Likes

And it’s such a shame people do, because I’ve had such lovely conversations with strangers about my shopping bags – especially the Flip & Tumble, which is a really great design. I tell people how washable they are, how convenient, how they fit more stuff and don’t break… and they start to get it in terms they can understand.

Your post reminds me that a collapsible box would be really handy for the car. I grocery shop on the commute home too, when I need to hit a supermarket.

4 Likes

I finally have enough of the “reusable” shopping bags that there should always be some in the car. Sadly I rarely remember them (outside of the Aldi runs) and a couple of times I have remembered to bring them into the store, I forget to give them to the bagger.

Once when the bagger (who was 2/3rds of the way done bagging) saw the reusable ones in the cart, they got this look on their face and wanted to know if I wanted them to rebag the groceries in the reusable. The expression they had told me that, yes, people have asked them to take the groceries out of the t-shirt bags and place them in the reusable bags.

5 Likes

We have one of these (item A) in the trunk most of the time.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=67069&cat=2,42194,40727

We keep a supply of reusable shopping bags in it, and put them in the organizer when not too full of groceries. Works for us.

5 Likes

Some good straw news:

So some supplier hit the magic price range where switching from plastic to biodegradable looked good to both PR and the accountants.

And if this giant chain of chain restaurants can do it, others can too.

8 Likes

Mine’s a little more like this, but the sides are solid and less milk-crate like:

I like it because it’s easier to carry when heavy than bags are: you can do a proper lift with it, using your legs and core. I find heavy bags far more awkward and hard on the shoulders. YMMV.

5 Likes

READ THIS THREAD:

Then the next time you run into someone who doesn’t understand how systemic oppression works, pass it on to them.

11 Likes

Remember Jessica Price?

ArenaNet just fired her. Why? Pissy manbabies threw a shitstorm when she asked a streamer to stop explaining how to do her job to her.

Fuck ArenaNet, fuck Gators, and fuck mansplainers.

13 Likes

Literally an everyday thing.

7 Likes

For those wondering, the initial thread in question is from a couple who asked a woman to change seats so they could sit together, then continued to document the interaction between the woman and her new seatmate, complete with pictures. For the entire flight.

3 Likes

Here’s a link to the Fuzzbead article, if you must:

3 Likes