Not Feminism 101

Well, that’s why I said sunsetting. I didn’t actually know about the blackface just because I couldn’t manage to read them even back when I was a kid – they were too saccharine for me.

There was something similar on The Mary Sue recently about Anne of Green Gables, where the writer was shocked to realise some major characters in the book were prejudiced. The important difference is the Anne books were written with the purpose of criticising and exposing that prejudice and snobbery, whereas the Little House books are more of a hagiography.

11 Likes

Sadly, I recently learned that RuPaul is one of them.

There’s some asshat who does drag in blackface under the name Shirley Q Liquor, and Ru has publicly stated support for him, repeatedly.

:frowning:

10 Likes
8 Likes
12 Likes

Further research will likely reveal that women are less likely to get asked for raises because they asked. It’s a misogyny feedback loop.

14 Likes

I once asked for a raise, because I was told by a forensic accountant that my productivity was above the others in my department, but my salary was lowest.

I was told that the others (all men) had families to support, but that I would get a bonus for productivity. It never showed up, and I was too intimidated to do anything about it. Or to call out the utter mysoginy.

The silver lining is that when that company folded, I walked away with a client that was the start of my own (freelance) business. If I had walked, I wouldn’t have had the opportunity. Which, of course, this is all after the fact rationalization to make myself feel better for being such a doormat for so long.

16 Likes

Uggh. That whole “families to support” line can DIAF.

Did the men actually all have families to support? Did you? Would finding any of that out be easy without a lot of prying into people’s personal lives?

I once had someone tell me that their project had no documentation because the people working on it had to go home to their families :confused:

I also understand not getting a bonus for productivity. I was due one at my last job. I was told it was coming, but it never did. They wound up stiffing me thousands of dollars in wages and benefits. It is no wonder I left.

16 Likes

The person who made the most, his family was him and his wife (who also worked). It was pure unadulterated bullshit, top to bottom. That man was good at his job, and taught me a lot, so I don’t hold any of this against him. He landed on his feet also, with some of the other clients, when the company went under.

When I was there, I was interviewing an applicant for the department, and the whole interview was about how he and his wife wanted to start having kids, so that meant he needed to make more money. If his portfolio had been truly spectacular, he might have gotten a second interview, but

mediocre+entitled=(fuck+that+shit)e2

I didn’t have a lot of power, but what I did have was used for good.

11 Likes

Back when shirtwaists were fashionable, it was supposed to have done just that. It was called “paternalism” and it was supposed to have died in the aftermath of the Triangle Shirtwaist fire.

No such luck, obviously.

6 Likes
12 Likes

Welcome to Gilead. Under his eye.

10 Likes

I’d be surprised if it ends here, too. What’s to say anyone can’t just set up and start providing “medical” services, now?

8 Likes

Living the “libertarian” dream!

I can imagine the anti-vaxxers running with this, and dooming so many people.

9 Likes
9 Likes

Huh.
I thought the hashtag was for something else entirely, but no, that’s #YouKnowHerName.

Can’t people stop being horrible for a bit, so I can get all of the hashtags about horrible things straight? Please and thank you?

6 Likes

Jesse Singal and his cadre have monopolized the Cabalist (a listserv for sex researchers and journos, successor to the Journo-list), resulting in several researchers quitting.

It’s important to 100% support our kids in exploring their identity and to 100% back them when they’ve established theirs.

Singal’s on a crusade against medical intervention and leading the charge against hormone blockers. Aka, JAQing off. Again.

4 Likes

Thread:

8 Likes

Oh God yes we needed some good news

7 Likes

I don’t think a Trumpist court, or a CorpDem court, is going to help:

3 Likes

Thread:

9 Likes