Not Feminism 101

This actually is Feminism 101.

How the fuck is this a show in this day and age?

8 Likes

Panem et circenses.

9 Likes

Funny, I felt the same about Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets…

3 Likes

Because Hollywood is secretly terrified of novelty. So they’ve repackaged The Dating Game.

6 Likes

I actually found that to be harmless fun. Will you enlighten me as to why it wasn’t (Outside the wooden acting)

2 Likes

From my understanding, the original comic was supposed to be quite progressive and leftist, but Bessons interpretation felt rather misogynist and heavy on the emphasis of “marriage is the ultimate problem-solver”. It felt like Luc dropped the ball on this one (at least to me).

I’m a big Besson fan, but I know he still hasn’t quite caught up to the times in his older age.

4 Likes

Fuck The Atlantic. First they courted the alt-reich, and now they’re playing footsies with anti-trans. Jesse’s latest “masterpiece” bashes hormone blockers, arguing that we shouldn’t do anything to assist teens with dysphoria.

EDIT:
Singal’s been beating the drum for a while. Here’s an older, but probing response to one of his pieces from cerebrus:

5 Likes

I’ve been watching the first tv show ever to feature not one but five transgender actors in lead roles, Pose. And while it’s a fictional account of of translife during the height of the NYC Ball scene, there are some poignant messages therein that are still highly relevant today.

In one scene where two queens are harassed out of a white gay bar, one secondary character made this astute observation:

“Everybody needs somebody to make themselves feel superior. That line ends with us, though. This shit runs downhill, past the women, the blacks, latins, gays, until it reaches the bottom and lands on our kind.”

That quote really resonated with me, given how often other ‘minorities’ are mistreated, sometimes by people who are themselves persecuted and ostracized.

14 Likes

Thread:

The hashtag is hilarious, but the sobering reality is that it wouldn’t be such quite happy endings for some people.

8 Likes

Some more background:

3 Likes
7 Likes

Except I’m not convinced 1 had ever actually been true.

However, and this is what makes it seem true, there are a certain critical mass of male fans who push women out of demonstrative fandom. So the woman fan has all the classic Trek episodes memorised; the man fan has that and is okay with wearing his communicator pin in public, because he’s less likely to get hassled for it.

That doesn’t make him a bigger fan, just a less hassled one.

See also: women do the practical oraganising and logistics; men preside over the conference. Last and only time I was involved with a political group, me and another woman booked the locations for the national conference, figured out the agenda, drew up and adhered to the budget, contacted local guest speakers, and on and on. Men made the welcome speeches and thanked everyone for coming.

9 Likes

That’s exactly what is meant by “men dominate”. Men get to have all the freedoms, women have to be quiet about it. If you dared contradict communicator-pin guy, his buddies rode in to cut you down. “Girls don’t read comics” or there were special, less-cool comics for girls. It’s fine if you organise the conference, but it’s men who get to speak.

Part of it is an exaggeration and reflection of general partriarchal society. Boys had more freedom to choose their fandoms (generally) and freedom from parental oversight to develop them. Expectation to conform to gender roles is huge… Which is why it’s no surprise that it took until the 2010s for a group of college age males to be willing to admit that they were fans of a show aimed at girls, and they still face derision, partly due to the development of a vocal and aggressive toxic sub-group within their ranks (sound familiar?).

Men create homages, they write licensed properties or (for public domain works) literary adaptations. A woman doing the same thing is less likely to have obtained a license (so can’t make a living doing it)
and/or writing a fresh take on public domain, often gets dismissed under “fan fiction” which, as female-dominated, we are taught is inferior, to be sneered at, or ignored.

Men got/get the media spotlight, women the underground.

Which is why there’s no surprise that 14 years after that post was written, a bunch of whining fanboys want Disney to hand them a license to remake The Last Jedi without the evils of women and minorities. And they feel entitled to it. They are proud that they harrassed an actress off Instagram, for the crime of appearing as one of those characters in their franchise.

It’s not about fandom or even genre fandom as a whole. It’s about the extremist wing of it. Which drips with toxic masculinity.

13 Likes

Well, that didn’t take long…

It doesn’t sound like it happened on the show, but it looks like they need to tighten their background checks.

9 Likes
10 Likes

I actually lost my multi-year connection to the local parenting support group – by mutual decision – because I brought up in an online discussion that the Laura Ingalls Wilder books were racist, and thus not “better” children’s literature than more recently written stuff, which touched off quite an attack on me for being so ignorant of “true literature” and willing to subject my children to poor quality writing.

Do I need mention that all of the parents rallying against me were white mothers? To me this is an example of intersectionality: upholding a white woman’s contribution to culture was so important to them that they wouldn’t even consider the possibility that racism would make those stories very difficult for children (and their parents) who were not just like them to appreciate.

15 Likes

Laura Ingalls Wilder and her family were also hardcore Libertarians.

5 Likes

I haven’t run into anything quite this bad (er, yet?) with getting books and movies for my nieces, but I’ve learned to do a re-watch/re-read before giving them anything.

My parents have a Siamese cat the nieces adore, so I found the clip about the Siamese cats from Lady and the Tramp on YouTube and was going to show them… until I re-watched it. Holy crap is it awful. They’re supposed to be awful characters, but the racist stuff is horrible, and even their horribleness towards the goldfish etc. is extra-horrible by today’s standards.

As for LIW… I don’t get the worship. They had their time and place, and it’s sunsetting. If they give you warm fuzzies about your childhood, cool, but that doesn’t make them eternal.

14 Likes

Yeeeaaah, no. If anything, children’s literature has gotten better. I remember those books, and they aren’t as well-written as those ladies seem to think they are. Tell a good librarian that LIW is the pinnacle of kid-lit and they will judge you so hard.

So hard.

You made the right choice.

Edited to remove what I missed seeing you already posted. My bad.:flushed:

13 Likes

If only it were. Look at all those assholes who still argue that blackface (esp. in America) is nbd. I guarantee a lot, if not a majority of them grew up on books like LHotP where it was treated as just this fun thing the heroes did for entertainment.

And in books like LHotP, heroes is the appropriate term. These are not nuanced, grey-area protagonists: Pa is portrayed as everything good and noble. Yet there is specifically a scene where he dresses up in blackface for an entertainment. I don’t even want to touch the books’ handling of Native Americans. But since Pa is the hero, it’s treated as just fine and dandy.

A children, we don’t tend to be critical of our stories, and those attitudes sink in. Combine that with mothers like the above who can’t wait to hand their favourite stories to their children, and attitudes persist.

It’s not going to sunset until we make it do so. Which is why I am glad that the ALA is pulling her name from the award, but I wish that they had done it sooner.

12 Likes