Not Feminism 101

Or acknowledge that “exact match” isn’t sufficient protocol for an id check. The ego is a much surer target for identity.

Nor is it a good use of money when it’s mostly sufficient to note that these names-at-address pairs haven’t voted twice.

11 Likes

Right, and who wrote those standards and databases? White. Anglo. Saxon. People.

Software design needs to be as inclusive as possible by default.

4 Likes

They had 128 characters to work with.

26 x 2 = 52 for upper and lower case letters.
10 for numerals, so that’s 62 total.
Then all major punctuation marks. I count at least 30 of those. So that’s 92. Plus a few more for math, which was the principle use of computers after all. Call the total an even 100.

Then there’s about 10 formatting characters for tabs, line breaks, and so on.

So we’re already up to 110 or if 128. 18 characters is not enough to make a good attempt at even all the accents for French.

I totally agree software should be as inclusive as possible. Obviously a decision was made to move forward while the technology was still limited.

6 Likes

An understandible decision.

And then another decision was made to disenfranchise people without exact matches among all their documents…

6 Likes

Extra Credits does Julie d’Aubigny:

5 Likes

Not gonna post on the BBS, although @Melizmatic…feel free! You know what/who I mean.

7 Likes

Notable quote:

Blasey Ford was mild-mannered, but Kavanaugh countered by coming out angry and not exactly righteously angry, either. Kavanaugh’s tone ranged from “Hotel guest demanding the concierge let him speak to the manager” to “Toddler at a Chuck E. Cheese’s who has just been told he will only get to play the Skee Ball five more times before he has to go eat pizza.”

14 Likes

Interesting!

6 Likes

Yep

5 Likes

Omg this staging is perfect.

8 Likes

I just need to ask, in response to this, did men REALLY not know that women live in constant fear of sexual assault and inappropriate behavior? Like, somehow in middle school where the gym teacher brings in someone for self-defense class and all the girls have to go, do men not even have awareness this is happening? Do men not offer to walk women to the door for a reason? Maybe women thought they didn’t have to explain what being a women is like, or maybe they use it for their own benefit - as we have seen, it doesn’t appear to be the stranger in the alley who is the real perp, but the good looking prepper.

12 Likes

Men know, they just don’t think your safety is more important than their ego. That’s just it, plain and simple: men - by and large - do not consider women to be people. Zero hyperbole.

6 Likes

It’s been crushing to learn the truth. My first reaction is, “What is wrong with men?” and then there it is, focus on the men again, and just fuck that shit. Get out and vote some woke ladies into office (remember, just because they have a vagina doesn’t mean they aren’t still part of the patriarchy).

7 Likes

I grew up with ordinary violence from bullies. I also have been attacked, by police, while protesting. So I’m hyper-alert to danger in public, with an audience, and more or less un-alert to danger in private.

And we can’t be hyper-alert all the time, that way lies serious neurological trouble.

4 Likes

Personally, the sheer scale of it didn’t sink in until very recently. As an analogy, it seemed to me like women had to jaywalk across an urban street regularly, whereas guys had had a crosswalk installed for their use. The everyday risks were substantially higher for women than for men, but the risks were still low. Bad things were going to happen, and more of them were going to happen to women than to men, but they probably weren’t going to happen to anyone you knew.

Now, I understand a bit better, and the analogy I’d use is more that women have to cross a busy high-speed Interstate daily, and men are the ones driving the cars.

15 Likes

11 Likes
6 Likes
11 Likes
15 Likes
9 Likes