Not Feminism 101

6 Likes

This is a game-changer:

https://rewire.news/article/2018/10/18/theres-now-an-online-option-for-self-managed-early-abortion-care-in-us/

8 Likes

And some more info on that:

13 Likes

I am so, so tired of reading critiques of women’s voices. One because they are rarely fair. Two because they never consider the same vocal affect being used by a man. This article sums it up nicely (seriously, why does anyone want to listen to Lindsay Graham?):

14 Likes

I can’t find it now, but someone I follow on Twitter (Elon James White?) said that Lindsay Graham’s voice sounds like a whites only water fountain.

I suppose you can read that as criticizing his voice, or really just about his racism.

9 Likes

Insert ‘why not both’ gif here ___.

12 Likes
8 Likes

Are courts able to name people a vexatious litigant in the US? Because that arsehole seems like a prime candidate.

7 Likes

I do not know, but I like the way you think and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

7 Likes

The legal workaround is to claim it as a members-only club with closed membership and issue membership to a token handful of understanding allies who will never attend.

We shouldn’t have to do this.

But systemic patriarchy never really went away. It’s also a bit harder to punch than, say, NotZs

8 Likes

I’m finally going to get around to pick this up, I think. This is a great review and interview with Albertine:

I heard the one she did on Fresh Air a while ago.

6 Likes

The artist I was hanging with on Saturday night animated a video about this for NPR

7 Likes

At the advice of her attorney, Su declined to name the activist. However, public court records and other media reports identify the man as Steve Frye, who once sued Donald Trump for being sexist against men.

Uh, okay, what a fucking douche.

7 Likes

Lot of TERF activity and dogpiling going on online right now due to the GRA.

UK ppl, make some noise.

There is no liberation when systems of oppression exist.

5 Likes

Employing that particular phrase against this particular type of person is perfect.

7 Likes

Maybe this is a stealth attempt to keep the number of women in the department as low as possible?

Edited to add that sunlight is the best disinfectant…apparently now that it’s public knowledge, they’re getting rid of it:

11 Likes
10 Likes

It’s 2018 and some people still think that a) the woman bears the sole responsibility not to get pregnant, and b) it’s her fault if a man kills her over it.

Quit putting men’s bad actions on us. It is not our job to avoid them, it is men’s job not to be shitty excuses for human beings.

Don’t #notallmen me. If you aren’t being shitty excuse for a human being, then you are doing your job. It’s still your job.

10 Likes

On the one hand, they need to offer a weekend (or maybe week-long) seminar on how not to be that guy. Because I can totally see myself being that guy, especially when I’m tired and/or depressed.

On the other hand, in my last relationship, my girlfriend was that guy, and I have no idea how women put up with men.

7 Likes

The thread mentions it’s a problem for men, too. This is just another way of policing bodies.

Tying into that, I got a (marketing, I know) mea culpa email from MEC about how they’ve only used white people in their advertising until now, despite it not reflecting reality, and they’re going to change. I would really love them also start to put pressure on the manufacturers to create more inclusive sizing. Nicole Cliffe is not a big person, and if she can’t squeeze into a medium, then those of us with larger bodies (bodies can be large in many ways) are entirely SOL.

Larger bodies deserve to have nice things too. And it shouldn’t cost us more of a fortune than the tiny ones.

10 Likes