Not Feminism 101

Sexism against real, god-ordained femininity, I presume.

9 Likes

One issue that was almost impossible to address in my marriage is that I’m quite certain my husband had an eating disorder, but it took my therapist to help recognize it as it had never even crossed my mind that he could have one. He ate only once a day, and by the time he ate, he was so agitated that he was unbearable to be around. It became clear he was deliberately (unconsciously) manipulating his eating cycle in order to create the agitation. I wish there were more information out about male eating disorders; I could only find a little and mostly it related it to the gay community and them wanting want women want. My husband was a very masculine man. I do think some of the driver was wanting a male physique, but I also think it was the same drivers as for many women - a desire for control in their lives. Because of all the misinformation and fears around therapy, despite my best efforts to get him to accept some help, he really saw therapy as something for me that he was helping me with and not really something he needed to engage with, because of all the messages that very masculine men receive about mental health as some kind of weakness.

15 Likes

cumberbatch-constipated

7 Likes

Minimized and weaponized.

9 Likes

Turns out, there’s one kind of immigration the U.S. is happy to support:

10 Likes

Thread:

https://twitter.com/AnaMardoll/status/1083688401138839553

12 Likes
7 Likes

Yes. Exactly.

7 Likes
9 Likes

Normally I’d put this in the whatcha watching thread, but given the subject matter and what happens to the woman in the film, I’m going to put this here too (as a recommendation)… it’s pretty upsetting and disturbing, but it’s also (partially at least) about how men don’t listen to women (among other themes) and the consequences of that:

Weirdly, it’s a Spanish produced film, with literally no Spanish in the entire film - English, Bosnian, Serbian, and German, with English being a sort of lingua franca of the entire film.

4 Likes

4 Likes
10 Likes

Damn, McSweeny’s:

13 Likes

“Chandler Dean” works for that too.

4 Likes
12 Likes

Mcsweeney’s never fails to bring it

5 Likes

They note that

The 18th Amendment doesn’t even outlaw alcohol or drinking. It prohibits the “manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors.” This wasn’t some oversight; the target was the traffic, not the booze.

That we have a hard time believing it today—scoffing that outlawing booze or booze sales has the same practical outcome of restricting the rights of the individual—says more about our changing understandings of liberty than theirs. It is only in more recent generations (with the rise of Hayekian neoliberalism after World War II) that any interference with the free market is deemed a constraint on our citizenship rights. For most of American history, political liberty and economic liberty were understood to be distinct from each other. There is no “right to buy” anywhere in the constitution.

Except those kinds of rules are almost always meant not to contol business, but the consumer. Like, we’re not saying women can’t use birth control, but no one is allowed to make it for you or sell it, either.

They knew that by crafting the law that way, there were loopholes available to anyone rich enough to have a well-stocked wine cellar, or who could vacation abroad where the booze flowed freely, while depriving their lessers of that same thing.

Was all it hand-rubbingly deliberate evil? Probably not. A lot probably thought they were doing the right thing, since there was a lot of hazardous material being marketed as liquor. A lot, much like today’s lawmakers who think lower-middle class is 100,000 a year, probably didn’t consider how most people got their nightcap.

Which is all totally off topic. On topic, one of the reasons Carrie Nation is so memorable is because she was a woman kicking ass and taking names. I am of mixed feelings about her, because she was a fundamentalist looking to control people, but she also defied the norms that had been impressed upon her. For me, it’s the first part that makes her a villan; the last part makes her awesome, in a way. Of course, to her contemporaries and early biographers, it’s the other way around.

10 Likes

Not all, but the part about deliberately putting poison in things like vanilla extract was. That was some real “kill the poor” shit.

13 Likes

‘“We” think these things but “we” are wrong’ articles always annoy me, because they never actually represent what I think. In this case it’s extra-blatant, since the author spends at least half the article trying to convince us about what supposedly we already think.

As recently as in “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”, Prohibition was portrayed as being created and enforced by rich white men. Yeah, that’s a fantasy movie, but it tried to make most things besides the wizard part realistic. Nobody in any major review said, “the senator is a man who supports Prohibition, what’s with that?”

9 Likes

I don’t remember where I heard it, but the narrative I know about women for prohibition was a sympathetic one. In essence: men would come home drunk and abusive, and since there were few options for women to leave home, one could at least try to stop them from being drunk.

12 Likes