Not Feminism 101

I still haven’t seen Titanic, and it came out 20 years ago

8 Likes

Me neither. I have no desire to see it.

6 Likes

Unless you can really groove on costumes and set design, don’t bother.

The best characterisations come from the characters based on real people, who admittedly Cameron took some pains with to ensure the actors physically resembled them. Cathy Bates was lovely as Molly Brown, and both she and Victor Garber as Thomas Andrews get a lot of mileage out of little screen time.

The two main characters and the plot… I’ve come to subscribe to the theory that old Rose is an unreliable narrator and made the whole thing up. It’s the most charitable way of viewing it. The whole idea of a shop sinking so horribly being a sort of “liberation” is just wrong.

I saw it because my ex was curious just what the hell all the money had been spent on.

9 Likes

I’ve seen it, but only on mute and subtitled in Japanese in a bar. I imagine that’s probably the best way to enjoy it…

I started going out with my first ever girlfriend shortly before the film came out in the cinema in the UK. It was obvious she liked DiCaprio more than me and that, combined with my complete lack of desire to go see the movie pretty much ended our couple of months together.

I’ve hated his smug fucking face ever since.

8 Likes

My highschool boyfriend took me to see it even though I was not really interested in seeing it. Then he cried after the movie, it was awkward. I mean it’s good to be comfortable with crying in front of your partner, but that plot …

6 Likes

I saw it back when I was nursing my daughter and I would just sit and watch hours of tv because that chemical that makes you stoned would kick in and all I could do was veg out.

7 Likes

Oxytocin?

You folks rule.

I saw Titanic out of a misplaced sense of civic duty to Hollywood. After hearing how much money was spent on the damned thing, I thought it would bankrupt two studios (Paramount and 20th Century Fox), and between its length limiting the number of screenings every theater could hold each day, and its truly meh love story, I thought it would end up a bigger box office bomb than Ishtar and Cleopatra and Heaven’s Gate put together. After seeing it I thought most of the spectacle was an eyeful, but I certainly didn’t think anyone would bother seeing it twice.

You could have knocked me down with a feather when it started breaking box office records, and staying in theaters for months on end.

9 Likes

I never saw Titanic, and I’m not really planning to. I already kinda know how it ends. shrug

8 Likes

It’s not terrible. And it’s 1000× better than Avatar.

3 Likes

I worked with a woman who would burst into ugly sobs everytime that damn song came on the radio. Which it did like a dozen times a day because it was such a giant hit. /gag

11 Likes

octopus running nope

If I never hear that song again, it’s still too soon. If you’ll excuse me, I need to go wash my brain out with steel wool now.

13 Likes

Dunno about that. It’s kinda terrible, and easily an hour longer than I’d have liked it to be.

There’s one thing it has in common with Avatar: if you don’t see it on a very big screen to get the spectacle into your eyes, it’s really not worth the bother. If someone made me choose which of them to rewatch, I’d have a tough time deciding which one would be a more tolerable waste of my time.

11 Likes

Avatar was a visual treat in 3D, but plot-wise it was a lot like Dances With Wolves. (I have fond memories of my whole college film class ripping DWW to shreds after watching three hours worth of stereotypes and clichés.)

13 Likes

Someone once described it to me as Ferngully in Space, and I don’t think they were wrong.

12 Likes
11 Likes

Yes, far too many plot spoilers out there.
There is an interesting film to be made about how it came to hit the iceberg - plot spoiler; it really shouldn’t have done - especially with the revelation that the reason they were in such a hurry to reach NY, and by a northern route, may have been that there was a serious coal fire on board, not uncommon in those crude ships. But it wouldn’t be a very mass market film. In a way, it was a precursor of the Challenger disaster.

3 Likes

Surely you realise that the entire USP of the Hollywood blockbuster is that the straight women and gay men want to sleep with fuck the male lead, and contrariwise the female lead? Ergo avoid blockbusters on early dates, or avoid the kind of women [or men] who confuse the movies with reality. I went for the latter, nearly 40 years on it seems to be working out OK.

3 Likes

Haven’t heard about a coal fire before, but I do remember when I went to see the Titanic exhibit, the only pair of binoculars on display belonged to a passenger. The accompanying information card mentioned that although the crow’s nest binoculars were logged as being present and in good repair before the transatlantic leg of the voyage, they had disappeared by the night of the sinking.

Just one of those things that wouldn’t have been so bad except the night was very still, the ice was a little worse than usual for that time of year, and so on. Like a lot of disasters, it was a collection of small mistakes that led to the catastrophic one.

3 Likes

Two things all James Cameron movies have in common are a paper-thin plot and painfully terrible dialogue.

7 Likes