Not Feminism 101

Oh, don’t get me started. I gave up on stand-up because of the “sucking up” - both figuratively and literally - that I know was gonna happen. And I’m GOOD. It’s like my singing - I give up trying to get into a band because it seems unless I play the game, it ain’t gonna happen. And I’m tired of playing the game - it’s something women have to do all their lives to be accepted. Fuck that. I’ll be alone with my integrity, LOL!

9 Likes

Yes!

3 Likes

There’s another hurdle it would have to overcome.

Of the thirty-five states which ratified it before the original deadline, three (Nebraska, Tennessee, Idaho) rescinded the ratification, one (Kentucky) put a bill rescinding the ratification through its state congress which was vetoed by the state’s acting governor, and one (South Dakota) passed a bill saying that its ratification was explicitly only valid until the originally-specified ratification deadline.

Even if Virginia follows through, and Congress passes legislation overriding the deadline… Ooof. This is going to be a fight to get this confirmed as a valid amendment.

6 Likes

A fight worth making, and with a Congress that might actually help instead of hinder.

9 Likes

Sent to me by a daughter, so ignore the fact that it’s BuzzFeed and just enjoy the humor:

9 Likes
8 Likes

Thank you; that was really worth reading.

7 Likes

and in any case, the Virginia Senate has done this before, but the Virginia House of Delegates has always balked.

4 Likes

radíidin: non-holiday, a time allegedly a holiday but actually so much a burden because of work and preparations that it is a dreaded occasion…

8 Likes

Excellent Fisk.

7 Likes

Contains no word for woman. Usually uses a form literally meaning polite-speaker, but which isn’t that useful for women who didn’t grow up speaking Laadan…

3 Likes

Showing how even a disability device can be sexist: http://msmagazine.com/blog/2019/01/16/inherent-sexism-inanimate-objects/

6 Likes

The Intercept is doing a series:

4 Likes

OH well.

4 Likes

Boom:

It applies to more than just the Hollywood business.

6 Likes

My 65-year-old father took me to get my abortion when I was 24 going on 25. This was August 1989, and in Detroit at least it was still safe to walk from your car to the clinic without running the gauntlet of protesters.

7 Likes

Apologies if someone already posted this; it’s worth seeing more than once.

9 Likes

Proud Fucks came back to Portland do some shit again. They came by the apartment of an acquaintance of mine and I guess she’s trending on Instagram now. All the proudboys and their women’s auxiliary, armed to the teeth with knives, and pretty much no one came outside to stand with her when she heard the bullhorn, said “hell no.” and busted open her screen door to walk out into the January gloom to see these degenerate animals try to provoke her into doing something they could lynch her for.

That was a thing. That happened. Today.

18 Likes

Holy shit… She’s safe now, right?

8 Likes

Heard about it from her after.

9 Likes