Not Feminism 101

I’m glad to see Bethany finally getting some mainstream media attention. It’s been child trafficking US-born children for decades.

Most of the laws set up in the U.S. to protect this sort of thing (the U.S. is an outlier in the world with regard to adoption practices in general) were modeled on Georgia Tann’s work:

12 Likes

This write-up is excellent, but I’d go one step further. Dating/relationships in the political west are hindered by a capitalist approach to dating – acquiring a partner with the same mindset by which someone shops for a car. It’s completely opposite to how working relationships are maintained, and leads to a lot of people putting more work into finding a “better model” than making what they have work.

People outside what’s commonly considered desirable get hit with the downside of this the most, and, thanks to the whole patriarchal norm of woman as object, women get hit with the downside most of all.

13 Likes

WTF? How does anyone ever think that that kind of thing is okay?

5 Likes

It isn’t okay, but it ain’t new.

8 Likes

This whole doing something to someone “one a dare” or “on a bet” in a relationship context is pretty common. I lost my virginity when the guy I was dating raped me. I found out later the whole thing was on a bet – for a case of beer. The guy and his friends all went to the same high school and had apparently cooked the whole bet up before they even started university.

I really think it’s a major factor in the sociopathic aspects of society.

15 Likes

(Hug)

15 Likes

jfc, I’m so sorry.

13 Likes

Indeed.

17 Likes

Urgh, yes! So many girls study a lot because they know perfectly well they’re about to enter a sexist workforce. So many boys breeze through because they are lionized for just that minimal effort.

And then there’s jock culture. Sure, he has slightly lower grades, but they’re high enough to get into university and he’s had a lot of tournaments lately (funny how that excuse doesn’t work for the drama club kids, eh?). Meanwhile, girls are learning to be treated badly just for being girls.

13 Likes

Yeah, my takeaway from that was not, “Girls are putting in too much effort,” but “Women have to be twice as good as men to get half the recognition.”

Fix that, and I imagine the disparity of effort in school will fix itself.

11 Likes

I found this especially interesting (horrible, but interesting) because the reporter included the angle of comparing the Baptists to the Catholics.

In the Catholic Church, the child abuse is supposedly held up by the strict Church hierarchy.

But in the Baptist Church, per this article, abusers are protected with the excuse that individual churches and parishes are more independent.

Conclusion: it’s not the church structure enabling these criminals, but larger society itself.

10 Likes

Ah, good ol’ Britain, the land of the colonialist, and home of the jerk.

British “Journalists” these days are all about punching down - punching down at fellow EU citizens in the country, punching down at gay folk, punching down at women, and punching down on trans folk.

This shit is similar to what we saw in Nazi Germany as Goebbels began to push anti-semitism to new heights.

4 Likes

And I think that’s solid, since you see sex abuse in a variety of places, not just the Catholic church.

11 Likes

It’s like the patriarchal mob is some kind of cross-cultural shitshow of criminality.

9 Likes
12 Likes
13 Likes
8 Likes

There was a photo on the news yesterday of an anti-vax demonstration – with only one man in the photo (out of about 15 people in total).

And then there was this. This 18yo had two older siblings and five younger, but only the mother got mentioned/interviewed in the article:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/02/09/692819105/defying-parents-a-teen-decides-to-get-vaccinated

8 Likes

Isn’t there another side of the net in this game of “doubles parenting”, where even the pro-vax moms tend to be in charge of the kids’ health and doctor visits too?
My assumption being lazy patriarchal patterns of responsibility that develop out of the mothers’ need to be present at many early doctor’s visits…

9 Likes

I think this is most of it. The recentish uptick in really labor-intensive parenting probably doesn’t help. For example, extended breastfeeding and babywearing keep women shackled to their infants longer. And with that is the consummate exhaustion and isolation of motherhood. If you have to be in the home, stuck on the couch, being used as a feedbag, what do you do … browse the web with the hand that isn’t holding kiddo. The problems just compound when the expectation of female labor and sacrifice is higher.

So what I’m really saying is I really appreciate this BBS, since I’m still nursing, and am, in fact, pumping now.

9 Likes