Not Feminism 101

If I could nurse, I’d help out. Yet, I think dads really ought to get maternity leave as a standard thing, so they can help with cooking, cleaning, diapers :face_vomiting: etc. while mom is busy being drained.

8 Likes

Maternity leave is a weird topic. I really think men should get parental leave. But there’s also some evidence in higher ed that men actually use that leave for more productivity, and it helps their tenure cases, while being neutral or negative for women. For higher ed, I really think the default should be parental leave for both + a tenure clock extension for women.

I’d also like a “dealing with harassment” clock extension :confused:

10 Likes
3 Likes

So, I don’t know how many, if any, of you here have seen the film, “Calamity Jane” from 1952. It’s kind of a marvel, because there is no female rivalry (except the obligatory “over a man” crap, but it doesn’t take up that much of the film); but when it comes to looks, nothing. Calam is not ashamed to say how pretty she thinks Katie is earlier on in the film. Just before Katie breaks into song, Calam feels ashamed of the cabin “What do I know about nice things?” she growls. “I ain’t never had any!” Plus, it’s got some great songs - and, Katie Brown is portrayed more than adequately by - can you believe it? - the wife of the “Big Guy”, Mr. Carlson, on “WKRP in Cincinnati”! Doris, at least as I type this, is still alive by the way; wonder if she’s still a big Republican? Hope not!

Note: In the video, they’re cleaning up for themselves…not for anyone else. I mean, the film’s half-over at this point, so if I remember correctly (I’ve got it on pause on Watch TCM right now, lol), the OAM crap doesn’t happen until maybe the last 1/4 of the film.
4 Likes

She’s singing a love song, and wearing gun openly on her hip. And later in the song, riding a horse while she sings, but that gun’s prominent, isn’t it? She’s also wearing buckskins again, but clean ones.

4 Likes

I read all those things that said you could read while you were nursing but FUCK THAT SHIT. Dude - hormones are released and they make you totally STONED baby drunk. This is why my drug of choice was many, many, many home improvement shows. Need a toilet installed? I can do that. At least, I watched someone do that on TV once and now I’m pretty sure I can do that. That was back in the days before home improvement shows were all about the big “reveal” and more about information you can use.

11 Likes

I sure miss those days. I learned a few things back then, also.
Thank goodness for YouTube informational videos.

10 Likes
11 Likes
12 Likes
8 Likes

If only someone could have foreseen this. /s

9 Likes

Yes. If only sex workers and trafficking victims had spoken up to say that this was exactly what would happen. Or groups who actually help sex trafficking victims. Or LGBTQ rights groups.

Well, at least we can be assured that SESTA is helping police find sex traffickers and not just driving the traffickers underground where they’re able to abuse more women.

I mean, imagine if this drove independent sex workers back into the arms of abusive pimps. Such a thing could single-handedly raise the rate of women getting murdered. But if that were the case, there would also have been a decrease in that rate when Craigslist started allowing erotic services ads. Luckily, FOSTA rescued lots of kids and vastly reduced the number of sex work ads posted rather than increasing them in places the police can’t watch as easily.

And, contrary to naysayers, there has been no collateral damage to free speech. Nope, none. None at all.

A large /s, so it won’t be missed.

(h/t to Techdirt, whose coverage of FOSTA made it much easier to compile all of those links).

17 Likes

This freaking thread:

Content warning: Sexual assault/Rape

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1095844739453075457

Men, please stop telling women how they can better keep themselves safe. The safety systems are biased against us.

13 Likes

Reminds me of:

Also: WTAF? They let him into her room just because he asked to be let in?

Also, also: WTAF, Des Moines Register?

Though the Des Moines Register does not typically identify sexual assault victims in criminal cases, it does publish plaintiffs’ names in reporting on civil lawsuits.

So, you can keep your anonymity as a sex assault victim, unless you actually want to seek some sort of recompense for the wrong that was done to you. Then your name can be blasted through the loudspeakers. How is that a valid policy?

10 Likes

Further down it says she wanted her name released for advocacy – that is, if someone has gone through similar and needs support they can reach out to her.

7 Likes

In the 2019 article, yes, but they just give a fairly generic “no comment” in the 2015 story.

5 Likes
8 Likes

11 Likes

I know this person and what is happening to her is atrocious.

15 Likes

Next time some someone says something sexist about men and housework, show them this:

And then ask them if they really believe the shit they’re peddling.

11 Likes