Not Feminism 101

21.3k Likes, 814 Comments - Julia Hava🌹 (@binchcity) on Instagram: “For anyone who’s feeling sad they don’t have a date tonight...at least no one will say this shit to…”

Binch City’s IG has a ton of these.

11 Likes

Calamity Jane in more recent pop culture!

deadwood-calamity-jane-okay

I think in Deadwood, there might have been at least one scene in which her buckskins were clean, when the teacher invited her to talk with the children…

11 Likes

I have to agree that the story of Wakanda always fell flat for me. Its monarchy is a lazy way to imagine a society that lasts for millennia from hunter-gatherer through pyramid-builder, empires, etc., as an essentially alien outpost with spaceships and forcedomed cities. And a king chosen in single combat. At least Thor: Ragnarok was honest about that shit and the destruction that rains down on civilians, even the silent women. For Asgard, succession is always fraught with epic destruction. Their solution? Live forever. Or close enough to it.

5 Likes

To play devil’s advocate

1. T’Challa condemned his father, and all of his ancestors on the throne, for not being the leaders they should have been (and in particular for T’Chakka’s abandonment of young Erik), in a nod to the idea that hereditary monarchy is a bad idea, and
  2. Killmonger showed pretty definitively why a king chosen through combat is also a pretty stupid idea.

They might have been painted into a corner, too, in terms of having a monarch rather than a more representative leader: that was established back in Civil War.

11 Likes

Exactly. Wakanda isn’t paradise (otherwise no story!). What it is, is an African country which was sufficiently technologically advanced by the colonial/slavery age that they could camouflage themselves and remain undiscovered. Their insularity means they’ve carried on traditions other societies with less tech have long got rid of – like the whole combat to select a king thing – and their technological advancement means they think they’re better than everyone else, at everything else. Apparently the latest Shuri comic gets into the latter idea.

10 Likes

To be fair, she is.

7 Likes

Not at tact she isn’t :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Between Depression, a thyroid problem and genetics, I am fat. I start losing fat and I literally get sick – it doesn’t matter if it’s diet or exercise. Thanks to being female, sometimes I am even fatter and the jeans that fit fine even two hours ago are too tight.

The excuse that Trump judges everyone on appearance is just that: an excuse. If that’s what you pull out when you do things like call out his weight (his eating habits might be questionable, but weight isn’t always about food), then you are admitting that you are no better than he is.

Trust me. Most fat people don’t want to be fat. We don’t enjoy clothes shopping and knowing that the nice things are reserved for smaller, skinnier people. We don’t enjoy the judgemental looks when we sit down to eat, or the tut-tutting of the doctors who refuse to look past our weight when we say that something is wrong. Why test for cancer when you can simply tell someone that they need to exercise more and eat less?

I have known skinny people who couldn’t walk half a block without stopping and fat people who could run up the side of a mountain with a full pack on and barely break a sweat.

Just like poverty does not correlate with morality, neither does weight or physical fitness. Paul Ryan’s ability to run marathons didn’t make him any more moral and decent than the president. When we fight them, let’s make sure we don’t hurt others fighting with us.

17 Likes

Thank you.

If it’s not too personal, do you suspect something stored in the fat causes the trouble when you burn it?

2 Likes

Jon Cooper, Chairman of the Democratic Coalition, called his 239,000 followers to tweet using the hashtag #MarALardass.

!!!

Last I heard, over 30% of American adults were overweight.

I can’t imagine a political party willing to piss off any other demographic even half that size. That’s a lot of votes.

6 Likes

It’s probably old news to many of the people here, but I just happened across this writer recently. Lindy West writes about attitudes to her body, both others’ and her own. I found her thought-provoking as well as very funny.

7 Likes

They are doing an adaptation of that with Aidy Bryant…

6 Likes

Fuuuuuuck! This should never have ended because it never should have started in the first godsdamned place. There should have been nothing to end.

14 Likes

“Actually we have run it this way for years and have never had a problem.”

Five years. If it’s bubbled up to banning now, it must have been a problem from the get-go.

13 Likes

I saw that too. Like, we had no problem - except for all those people who had problems with it, I guess?

13 Likes

WHAT IS THAT?

5 Likes

Translation: “Nobody felt safe telling us this was a problem, so it wasn’t.”

9 Likes

I will watch that.

Also, Aidy Bryant is one of the unsung heroes of SNL.

8 Likes

She’s consistently funny… her, Kennan Thompson, and Kate McKinnon are the 3 funniest cast members right now…

8 Likes
13 Likes