Not Feminism 101

And I’d love to hear their argument that ED is a ‘public health priority’, just for shits & giggles.

14 Likes

Anything that’s all about the menz is a “public health priority”. Nothing about those noisome women ever is.

Misogyny!

13 Likes

Thread:

13 Likes

Um, if times are changing, then how come the author of the article comes right out and writes, “While the 39-year-old actor’s best accessory was obviously his beautiful wife on his arm…” - really?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/jason-momoa-rocks-velvet-pink-suit-oscars-lisa-bonet-finally-times-changing-011840060.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb&fbclid=IwAR0m375NrR3KtG2ZKIWeAcVWH-nmcN9UTh9WJt46hnv_XX3h50YY9foJLy4

12 Likes

And Lisa Bonet has been well-known far longer than he has.

10 Likes

They are a beautiful couple… it’s always clear he’s in utter awe of her.

7 Likes
5 Likes

Yes, but the author of the piece refers to her as an “accessory”; were I he and she I’d be plenty pissed-off. It’s an insult to both of them.

11 Likes

Yeah. It’s a great example of how “kill your darlings” applies to journalism too. The author was apparently so caught up in the clever fashion conceit they missed the casual objectification.

9 Likes

An overlooked issue in the “designed for men”:

I am not joking.

14 Likes

From what I read Mamoa was stuck on her from back when she was still on the Cosby Show; when he met her IRL, he went for it, and apparently she dug him too.

But the author calling Bonet an accessory? Unfuck that guy.

13 Likes

I saw this earlier today and it’s really stuck with me for some reason I can’t quite articulate, yet. It’s like my brain is still kind of chewing it over.

I have, of course, previously noticed the narrow range of options that constitutes men’s fashion, but I’ve always regarded it as a feature, not a bug, especially in the workplace.

I’m the guy that had three or four pairs of slacks and a dozen white long-sleeved button-down shirts, and I’d wear the same thing to work every single day. I loved it because it meant I never had to think about what to wear or buy. My great fashion insight: a white shirt always matches your pants. My concession to personal expression: the pants were cuffed!

I’ll admit that I sometimes envied the women at work who could wear open-toed shoes or bare legs in the summer, because it would have been so much more comfortable. But not really, because I had some inkling of the trade-offs that such freedom would have entailed, which is to say I would have never willingly traded places with women when it came to expectations around fashion. Even before I had the language of privilege, I knew I was lucky to be a man in that regard.

But then I see something like this:

Alexandra Rowland :sparkles: ‏ @ _alexrowland Feb 25

You!!! Deserve to be seen! You deserve to love the person in the mirror! You deserve to feel cute whenever you want to! You deserve to have your physical embodiment appreciated!

When I read that it just makes me feel weird. Like it’s something I may legitimately have never actually considered before. Like I’m just discovering this huge blind spot in my personality or my worldview or something. Like maybe I’m not quite as lucky as I thought I was.

10 Likes

The fly belongs to us! You must freeze in the breeze like a filthy Scot… in a dress! Or stop your filthy innovations in sewing! Patterns only!

5 Likes

My partner is an overweight goth and really struggles with clothes. Goth brands really lean toward smaller men’s sizes. He’s fine just in black most days but has been yearning for some more flamboyant club gear. He’s just starting to try to put together some necromancy themed looks.

It’s hard to find stuff in his size and he’s always nervous about spending money on himself. Custom stuff from Etsy are all big purchases and you don’t get to try on to see if it really works although you can often get made to measure.

My male or NB AMAB friends who wear alot of women’s clothes have a much easier time with club clothes, but they are all slimmer. Most good goth thrift store finds are women’s clothes, it’s a rare instance where finding good women’s clothing is usually cheaper than men’s. Get into more high fashion goth and women’s stuff is of course usually more pricey than men’s.

My partner and I bond over our frustration with pants and shoes shopping. My feet are too narrow and his are too wide. I’ve always been the “wrong” shape for most pants even though I’m slim.

Mass manufacturing of clothes has really contributed so much to people judging there own bodies as “wrong.”

12 Likes

When my daughter and I went to Fire Island for the invasion of the Pines, it was just a revelation to see men dressed as sex objects, men in colorful shirts, men exploring women’s clothing options. I thought it’d be kitschy fun to see so many drag queens but it shook me to my core to be in a space where men felt free to express their sexuality and feminity.

15 Likes
6 Likes

I dunno, he had plenty of characters left on the tweet that landed him in hot water. He didn’t need an essay then.

4 Likes

That is a thing of beauty.

I love the little exchange in the middle:

I followed you on a lark, hoping for something like this to happen down the line. I’m not disappointed. Hilarious! A dissertation!

It is not a dissertation, it is a treatise. I’ve written a treatise on mattresses too, in case you are interested.

I am not.

Well, someday you will want to buy a mattress and you will come knocking.

no one else is interested in knocking anything on your mattress, dude
not until you figure out which bit is which, anyway

Agreed. I doubt anyone’s vulva has any interest in his mattress.

Which is his original problem to begin with

7 Likes

I am STILL enjoying that thread, because the comments are a stitch.

At least a couple of people have said “what a hill to die on”, and then came Simon Hutchinson:

A weird mons to die on

Dude, I will invent a time machine, go back a few decades, and have your babies!

11 Likes

And of course:

(What, me, procrastinate?)

15 Likes