Not Feminism 101

Unlike most articles about this, this one includes am example of the logic of women who do more of the housework (the dirty nappy example).

9 Likes

That dirty diaper example is so spot on. There’s just stuff my husband doesn’t care about. He’ll happily let the floors be filthy and thick with dog hair … then be upset that our son is trying to eat dog hair, seemingly not connecting the two things and blaming the kid for doing it. If I mention it, I’m a nag who cares too much about trivialities. I feel like I’m crazy sometimes for being proactive about problems rather than reactive and pissed off.

15 Likes
11 Likes
8 Likes
14 Likes
5 Likes

Slacktivist reminds us that “concern for human lives” really isn’t what the right wing claims it to be:

If you google the date and the city, you won’t find anything. Why? Because the tragedy of epic proportions was when a clinic freezer malfunctioned and thus 4,000 fertilized embryos were destroyed. Those same embryos, at the same ‘age’, inside a woman’s body would be considered an egregious “murder” by the right wing. Hmmmm…I wonder what the difference is?

16 Likes

Found this via Coding Horror of all people. Posting it to this thread because a) all the principals are women and b) the plutonium-grade weaponised slut-shaming.

10 Likes

SO that’s why I’ve never made it as CEO; I’ve even taught folks, as a part of an ensemble, how to use humor in the workplace to relieve stress.

I got fired from ensemble later, however, for making fun of the drunken state of the leader during one of his stand-up routines, or rather his falling-off-the-stage routine one night. The reason I was given was “you don’t show enough enthusiasm”. This after dressing up as a mermaid and giving “birth” live onstage, to my “love child” conceived at Sea World with Bill Clinton. OH well.

14 Likes

Posting this because it hits so many squares on the “aggrieved white man” bingo card, it’s hilarious and enraging all at once.

For starters, this and its preceding comment were in s thread that had nothing to do with this. The original thread was a comment on Tucker Carlson’s slimy, odius defense of child rape. But this guy couldn’t help but try to make things about him and his victimisation fot being superior.

Second, there’s this assumption that every time they lose out to anyone other than a fellow white, straight cis-male, the other candidates got special treatment and were somehow lesser qualified.

Like, dude, how do you know? Did you sneak in and read their resumes? Bug the in-person interviews? I mean, odds are as a white, straight cis-male you are doing the white, straight cis-male thing of applying for a job for which you meet 50-90% of the requirements. Fun fact, my dude. You may exceed the qualifications on that 50-90%, but your competition there is meeting or exceeding on all 100%. Because they know that’s the only way to have a chance. They must be bulletproof to even get to the interview. You just have no fucking clue how UNqualified you are.

Maybe you’re the best qualified on paper, but during the interviews, your interviewer(s) decided they’d rather work with someone, hell, anyone else who isn’t such a self-centred asshole. You know, the type who will jump into a conversation about fucking child molestation and try to make it about him.

And for anyone wondering why I wanted to highlight this asshole’s words – because this argument still gets trotted out all the frickin’ time a privileged asshole doesn’t constantly win. And it’s complete fucking bullshit all the way through, and too often ends in violence.

So, men (especially white, straight cis-men)… Do you want to be allies? Next time you hear this bullshit, you start asking him those questions. Don’t leave it up to the rest of us to justify ourselves or prove how qualified we are. Don’t stand by and let him rant unquestioned. He won’t listen to us, but there’s a good chance he will hurt us. He might however, crawl off to lick his wounds if it comes from you.

And if it’s a work colleague, maybe have a quiet word with HR. They will be very interested in knowing that they’re so bad at judging the qualifications of candidates.

16 Likes

Sounds like I need to get this book (I’ve been using a lot of the same examples over the years):

12 Likes

Geez, when are these people going to realize that only liberal women have abortions, which reduces the population of liberals in our society? Aren’t their own women too cowed to go out and get abortions? (the sad thing is, I have the feeling if someone said that there are some anti-abortion folks - pro-life? why aren’t they anti-war, then? - would actually believe it.)

Like, these people want less government, except when it comes to interfering with women’s reproductive rights? Well, let’s bring on the vasectomy clinics, then!

14 Likes

And I don’t hear men screaming about THIS:

In a matriarchy comparable to today’s patriarchy, women would decide if men got their tubes cut, and don’t argue about it.

11 Likes

I think it might be the opposite. Conservative women have more abortions, and agree to more anal sex, because they are ignorant about contraception.

10 Likes

They go off and do it in seeeeeeeeeeecret…in the dead of night…in back alleys…and all that propaganda.

And…um, I was being sarcastic…which I guess flopped, lol. OH well.

6 Likes

I’m sure you’re fine. I’ve been having a rotten month, so I’m missing stuff.

7 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. :frowning: I hope things upswing soon.

5 Likes

Oh, they are.

My apartment hasn’t been in imminent danger of catching fire in over a week now! That’s the longest stretch in the last four weeks!

(I hasten to add I wasn’t the cause of the previous times.)

8 Likes

4 Likes

Wait, what?

6 Likes