Not Feminism 101

Jesus, what a Confederacy of dunces. Can we file a motion to slap judge, baliff, and opposing counsel?

3 Likes

This should not be call-out worthy. This should just be a matter of course when planning these events. Sadly, few even think of it, or they assume the venue has it covered. As for bringing your own… Almost every woman can tell you a story of “Suprise!”

7 Likes

Compare

Katy Lederer is the author of three books of poems and a memoir. Write to her at

to:

And you can see why there’s a big discrepancy in the quality of advice.

There is just so much to unpack with what’s rotten in that column you posted (not just the advice!), that I don’t think that I have time or space at the moment. Let’s just say NYT is a huge part of the problem, not the solution.

8 Likes

I don’t even know where to begin with the whole column. I guess I could write to her and be like ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING??? And then advise her to stop with the crack before writing her articles. Maybe that would shift things?

6 Likes

If only you could typeface it so that the first words in a three-line question could be

Stop
smoking
crack

7 Likes

This thread, right here:

14 Likes

Protection rackets start in reaction to this kind of thing. It’s also how the protection racket thugs and their lawyers get trained.

7 Likes

Would love to be the first to tell their mothers. Don’t start with saying it was them, though. Just start with, “OMG did you hear what happened in Pittsburgh? Those poor women!” and then after five minutes drop that their son was involved.

14 Likes

That is assault. In a just society, they would be awaiting trial.

I also have to point out that 30% of Pennsylvania residents are gun owners, so this is like playing Russian roulette with two in the chamber.

9 Likes

The whole thread is :fire: but I want to talk about this for a minute:

This is not only true, but something that has and does disproportionately affect women.

Hysteria and hysterectomy don’t randomly have the same root. It took me over a year to get my thyroid diagnosed because the doctor insisted it was Depression. By the time he tested me, I’d been on a number of different antidepressants, looking for one that worked. Meantime, my TSH levels were through the roof. Almost any woman who has gotten an endometriosis diagnosis will tell you about being gaslit over their symptoms and told it’s in their head. The days of “Mother’s Little Helpers” aren’t gone – go to your doctor with something he can’t immediately explain and it’s an immediate reach for the prescription pad and “here’s a new pill to try”.

Absolutely, medication can help for mental illness, but too often it’s used as an excuse not to look for anything else.

16 Likes

Plus my favourites: one, that “hysterical paralysis” never actually went away, no matter what you see on TV. The medical establishment finally figured out it was multiple sclerosis.

Two, that ovarian cancer isn’t a “whispering disease” at all, by that its symptoms are dismissed by doctors so regularly women are basically trained to not report them.

15 Likes

That’s my mother’s story. She went through years of suffering with endometriosis and fibroid tumors before she finally found a doctor (female) who took her seriously. And yes, she got told that it was “all in her head.” It left her very unwilling to trust or even go to doctors when she was sick, even later.

14 Likes

Same with my mom. She ended up having a hysterectomy at 25. Those were performed in the maternity ward then. She’s still really messed up over it.

10 Likes

It’s not just about elections:

12 Likes

Did not realize everything that was stacked against Joan Rivers, even though I remember her show being pulled quickly.

11 Likes

subscribed

2 Likes

WELL WE TRIED JOAN RIVERS AND THAT DIDN’T WORK

So he’s using a 1986 show as an excuse in 2014 :thinking: … that’s a 28-year span. A longer span of years than the average person in that class had been alive, I expect.

It’s not “WELL WE TRIED HILLARY CLINTON AND THAT DIDN’T WORK”.

It’s “WELL WE TRIED GERALDINE FERRARO AND THAT DIDN’T WORK”.

13 Likes

“Hey, we tried Kim Campbell, and look what a disaster that was!”

7 Likes

Ugg. By the logic of that example, a white man, especially a Conservative one, should never have been elected to so much as treasurer of the local cribbage club again.

14 Likes

Especially since – like Joan Rivers – she was doomed from the start. They fucking knew they were about to be devastated before handing her the helm and abandoning ship.

I am still angry about it.

10 Likes