Not Feminism 101

Yeah, she derailed a conversation about feminism – might’ve been the objectification thread – and flounced off when some of us pointed out she was derailing.

ETA: oh yeah, and claimed anyone who thought regular, systemic objectification was a bad thing must needs hate sex.

Having said that, I’m all into welcoming new people, and it would be great to talk about cyborg/tech topics more.

14 Likes

I’m all for that! You wanna spin that off?

6 Likes

There’s no sex like hate sex, but I wouldn’t say I need it…

4 Likes

That’s a great idea! But I want to quote from some books I have at home to get things rolling (nothing too lengthy, but far better than me ranting off the top of my head).

2 Likes

Sounds like a good way to start!

2 Likes

That would be me and some others. :slight_smile:
We disagree on a fundamental level on things like “the male gaze” and feminism in general.

Usually I’m just a strident feminist harpy, but I can be a shrew too I suppose.

17 Likes

I don’t know, you strident feminist harpy shrews are ruining everything for us straight white males. Did you know I’m being oppressed? Nowadays I can’t even engage in a bit of inappropriate touching, suggestive joking and staring at breasts without getting into trouble. It’s all so unfair. Everything started to go downhill with the Married Women’s Property Act. And then giving you the vote! At least some women are still into objectification. Proper women. Oh, it’s no good, you just can’t parody these people.

9 Likes

And on THAT note…

8 Likes

“Our big mistake was teaching them to read. We won’t make that mistake again.”

― Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid’s Tale

13 Likes
7 Likes

There could be cultural stuff we’re not picking up on. I haven’t a clue about the state of gender relations and feminism in China. I’d imagine some marked differences, but I’m not sure how.

7 Likes

Yeah. I don’t think feminism has made great genuine inroads into China. (At least, not as we know it, pretending for the moment that we have one definition of it.) And of course, she styles herself as a “sexy” “cyborg.” Wouldn’t want to stereotype, but I suspect most self-identified sexy cyborgs are in favor of objectification, at least if it’s the “right” kind.

Oh, and there are her plaints about inappropriate advances from American ex-pats and I’ll wager she’s gotten more than a little slut-shaming from traditionally minded Chinese…

The subject’s complicatedness mounts…

6 Likes

Then there’s the tricky subject of self objectification. I’m okay with this, as long as the person can opt out of being treated like an object.

12 Likes

Well she did accuse us shrews of being prudes and being both anti-sex and in need of sex… so no, feminism has not made a lot of in roads there (also gonna go out on a limb and say neither has the idea that “Cool Girl” is not a positive thing to be LOL)

13 Likes

I think people are assigning that meaning to the wrong people primarily because of incorrect definitions of cool.

4 Likes

We are aware dude. That’s why we are fighting for the transgenders to get rights. Also just women. Also you enjoy the flaming fire of hell Felicia.

8 Likes

Maybe it’s time for a sexy cyborg musical interlude…

2 Likes

Cindy Gallop just posted a link which has a good summary of the state of AI sex robot tech:

There was a related article about behaviour in VR environments, which included the note that:

Can’t agree more.

10 Likes

To be fair, trans people have some rights, they’re just unevenly distributed. I’m an upper middle class, white, relatively passing, femme trans woman; my company will pay for whatever transition care I want, and my biggest material problem might be that my dojo doesn’t have a changing room I feel comfortable in. But I have seen probably the majority of my trans friends fired for BS reasons and forced to survive on sex work at the edge of homelessness for a time. And in that state, practically all the institutions they deal with are actively hostile. The social support system for trans people is made of shit.

16 Likes

That last one is big for me, not just as a woman e who enjoys gaming, but also in that disconnect that so many (mostly cis-men, probably the bulk of them white) have about harrassment and even assault in games or online and “in real life”.

Because games and online are real life in that there is a person that you are saying things to. The reason I am confident in my demographic assessment is that for those guys (again, the bulk of them are men) games and online are the only place it happens to them. So it’s easier for them to say it’s just a game or an Internet forum. For them it’s just in this one place, but for the rest of us it’s a case of it being one more place we either can suffer or be chased away from. One more place where we must be exhaustingly hypervigilant. And we recognise the inherent problems, because we do see it on the outside.

Harrassing behaviour is harrassing behaviour, stalking is stalking, whether it is at work, on the street, or mediated by a server. Period. So, yes, guys: if you wouldn’t let a guy teabag you in your living room, then you should be raising a fuss when there’s a screen involved.

No, video games don’t cause violence, but they can help serve as a litmus test as to who has behavioural issues, especially since (with a few exceptions) these behaviours were not coded into the game by the developers, but developed by said players.

14 Likes