Not Feminism 101

Mildly NSFW

5 Likes

Perhaps you would like Cayce Zavaglia, who embroiders portraits?

1 Like

There’s several topics I could put this under, but I just watched One of Us on Netflix. It’s about Hasidic Jews that leave the Hasidic world. It’s not just women, but the pressures on them and control of them is the classic combo: keep em ignorant and scared of the outside world and breed em young and often. Sad what the men endure too. And how the laws in NY allow it all to continue v

11 Likes

I’m like that with gay men. I have no idea why because I’ve been there and done enough to know that I really don’t enjoy having sex with men, but I get hit on a lot by them. Makes me feel icky.

2 Likes

There’s appropriation and then there’s misappropriation. I regard the test as: Could this be an advertising/marketing campaign for the original subject? Then it’s misappropriation.

3 Likes

On my first date with Mrs S, I spent most of my time wittering on about music taxonomy in punk and related genres. In my defence she kept asking questions and I have a deep-seated need to answer.

I’m still not sure how I got a second date.

7 Likes

Took me a while!

1 Like

We have Hassidim in London too, mainly in the area around Stamford Hill. They tend to get a free pass from the authorities, and their failure to educate children to State norms (including learning English) hasn’t had a very strong response from the authorities.
I’ve met Sephardis who regard the Hassidim as not really being Jewish - they regard them as being Poles who invented a new religion, and see many of the problems of Hassidism as springing from Polish society. Some of the same elements are indeed seen in modern Polish society, which is one reason a lot of Polish immigrants to the UK don’t want to go back, according to surveys. (I don’t blame them - I think we should do a swap, progressive Poles for our Leave voters who would be right at home in a nationalist, xenophobic environment.)
I don’t know why Hassidic practices that amount to abuse of women and children are tolerated. It’s not as if more than a small minority of British Jews support them.

6 Likes

I get that religious expression is fundamental to our government, but when your religion involves abuse, rape, and refusal to educate, I think there needs to be action against your religion. I saw a similar documentary about the Amish.

9 Likes

and do not even get me started on the FLDS.

7 Likes

And they are not the only offshoot of the main LDS church that practices such things.

4 Likes

I am all up for religious freedom, but not as a shield against prosecution for activities that are illegal regardless of faith.

Unfortunately, we rarely prosecute these things,* regardless of whether religion is involved. That needs to happen more often.

*crimes against minors, forcible confinement, abuse, etc.

8 Likes

It looks like Make has issued a real apology to Naomi this time…

https://makezine.com/2017/11/19/apology-to-naomi-wu/

8 Likes

That’s great!

But the call to action at the end of the letter, eek… does that mean he hasn’t seen that viral Twitter thing from last week about how the “maker movement” is exclusive and sexist by design?

16 Likes
8 Likes
11 Likes

Further in the “maker” debate, this was announced today:

EDC (for those who don’t know), stands for Everyday Carry, and this is a bag to enable maker-types to easily transport the stuff they bring with them, everyday, such as wallet, spare keys, small tools, maybe a flashlight, those kinds of things.

Or, as women have called it for ages: a purse.

FEATURES:

Pencil holder/pocket on the inside
Magnets hold the handles together upright
Wide spring steel supported clamshell mouth

Para-aramid synthetic fiber reinforced base

Hook and loop on the inside bottom to add functionality

Hook and loop on the outside for patch and identification
Machine washable

Yup, that’s a purse. A nice one, I am sure, but this is not a great innovation in carrying things.

I like Adam, he does seem interested in getting girls on a STEAM track (not just STEM, he understands how the arts fit in), But putting a fancy, maker-y sounding name on it does not change what this essentially is.

And how sad is it that I am seeing men comparing this like women do purses, but they would deny vehemently that this is one. No, it must be different, because real men, maker men don’t carry purses.

SMH.

18 Likes

As a purse user, I think the clam shell opening with zipper is a questionable choice.

Flaps & magnets or GTFO.

9 Likes

Oh, I am not saying that’s the world’s best designed purse ever, but I have seen worse. It’s just the hoops that guys are jumping through, to claim this is somehow special.

No, most women have a closet full of them, of varying utility. And we do carry our daily tools in them.

Mine has: mechanical pencil, multiple pens, notebook, 2 multi-tools (one with pliers, one with hexes), lip balm, benadryl, zantac, gum, emergency feminine supplies (can also double as bandages in a real emergency!), flashlight, keys, windproof lighter, two mirrors (also good for emergencies) a hair brush, elastics, flosser picks and holds my phone and wallet when they aren’t in use.

But I don’t call it anything other than a purse.

14 Likes

It seems actually to be a small Gladstone bag, as used by William Ewart himself and generations of doctors. The canvas version, usually quite a bit bigger, was used by tradesmen like joiners for their tools. Nowadays they’re made of tear resistant nylon and you can get a good one for around $75.

Not arguing with you in any way, it is a purse, just a big one, except that it lacks the reinforced frame around the opening that makes the real thing so useful. And of course those of us who had to do Chaucer and Shakespeare at school know the other connotation of the word purse, which is presumably why some men don’t want to be associated with having one.:grin:

Anyway, I showed it to my pretentiousness meter and now it needs a new needle and end stop.

9 Likes