Not Feminism 101

Reinforced frames declined in popularity around the same time as the girdle. A lot of purses are identical to messenger bags in structure.

8 Likes

Sorry, I was referring to Gladstone bags and was unclear.
Proper Gladstone bags stay wide open so it’s easy to see what’s in them, get things out and put them back. Bags with zip tops are much less use in that respect.

Now I want a proper Gladstone bag again.

7 Likes

From the description:
“Wide spring steel supported clamshell mouth”

That sounds like the sort of reinforcing you describe.

I’ve had a tool bag like this for years.

It has many advantages over a toolbox, when you just want to toss in a mixture of tools to carry to a specific job. It cost about 1/7 as much as Adam Savage’s version, and won’t show the dirt as much. Of course, it doesn’t “come wrapped in tissue paper printed with a drawing of my original toolboxes.”

I have no problem with calling a purse a purse, but to me that brings up an image of a particular style and method of carry. (Just don’t call it a man-purse or a “murse”, or I will purse my lips at you.) My requirements are met by either a small backpack (better for tools, gear and clothing) or a thirty-year-old Eddie Bauer nylon briefcase (better for papers, books, etc.). Before I got the nylon case, I commuted to work with my “leather lunch pail”. Messenger bags seem to be unisex these days.

All these items serve overlapping functions, but are called different things because of their differing designs. Of course, for men the ubiquity of pockets in their clothing means that things like wallet, keys, and occasionally phones are not carried in a separate bag.

8 Likes

Hilariously, most women I know are opting for backpacks these days. Cuz we carry around so much stuff!
Shoulder bags just throw your spine out of whack, and we like to have our hands free!

14 Likes

I have determined that number for myself.

That number is zero.

Why is this so hard to do?

11 Likes

I can carry wallet, keys, pens, small pad of paper, phone, and some emergency meds. Anything more than that (books, larger papers, umbrella, maybe a to-go coffee cup or food container, etc) I will need a briefcase or (more likely) a backpack. But that probably says more about my sense of organization or clutter than anything else.

6 Likes

I follow a link upthread, I find this photo;

Am I just bad at reading emotions or did someone design a sex doll that looks like she’s in a state of panic?

6 Likes

The same here but I claim no particular credit. My father is a feminist.

5 Likes

No ruler, multimeter and multilobe screwdrivers?

No, it isn’t, it’s just a cloth covered spring. The metal needs to be on the outside so when you accidentally miss with dropping in a saw, the cloth or leather doesn’t get damaged. Having a wimpy zip on the outside is an accident waiting to happen.

1 Like

I don’t know where to put this… so I’m putting it here…

This is legit terrifying. And also how is this not just Peeple (Yelp for People!) redone but by techbros instead of women?

The opportunity for abuse is terrifying.
And something I don’t expect a startup group that looks like this to understand at all:

Also, don’t they look like the kind of guys that would invent a fucking bus app, thats a bus, but not dirty public transit for poors!

19 Likes

Not mine. I still haven’t raped or harassed anyone though.

6 Likes

McKinseyism. And always having the best grades.

McKinseyism is the management philosophy that basically says if you can’t measure the thing you really want to measure, measure a few other things and hope they correlate. It was invented by people who simply did not or would not understand that people lie and cheat. Even though they did it themselves.

9 Likes

The lack of opt-out options was what did Peeple in.
And because the creators were women, when other women pointed out the potential for abuse to women, they acquiesced and made it opt-in only. This version? With these techbros? I am not optimistic that they’ll see how frightening a person rating app could be for women. And I doubt that they’ll have mods or other any sort of structure in place to prevent abuse, because again, their privilege will make them blind to it.

I’ve always joked that 1984 came into effect when Facebook launched.
But with this app? I’m way more interested in living far away from humanity…

I mean… seriously? This is them? My god… we’re all doomed aren’t we?

8 Likes

Gah. I was once interviewed by a startup just like this. They rejected me, despite technical proficiency, because they didn’t like my body language. That company has long since failed. Surprise surprise.

8 Likes

Because women suffer abuse at a higher rate than men. 83%
And women who suffer abuse report incidents happening in the workplace. 53%
And this is the Not Feminism 101 thread, where the focus is still women.
In a system like this, women will be the canary in the coal mine.
Because abusive controlling partners will stop at nothing to destroy their former partners.

Obviously, the system can be used to hurt anyone, but my focus is on women, it usually is. :wink:

11 Likes

Post deleted.

Further to this, I’m not sure this made waves outside of Canada, but this man made it his life goal to “destroy” his ex-wife. Thankfully, he was deported to Canada and she stayed in the US so she was marginally safer, but he still managed to get her fired and spread malicious gossip and lies about her to all her neighbours and family.

Imagine what a person like that would do with a people/service rating app?

10 Likes

Because in his case the number is >1.

More like >10.

Probably >20.

And I see he worked in the “I was drunk” excuse, but I’ll be fair to him for a very specific context and acknowledge that will make it harder for him to arrive at an accurate total.

Zero is definitely a lot easier to keep track of.

8 Likes

I’m beginning to think that maybe CH was right.

Maybe the only reason why I haven’t raped, or at least sexually assaulted, anybody is because I’m completely asexual.

It’s not like I was raised in a liberal household with liberal values, because it was the polar opposite of that for me growing up. It’s not like gay men are any better than straight men either, because past experience tells me they’re really not. So, I have the creeping feeling that there’s a biological, or at least societal, imperative to sexually harass other people, and I have missed out on this not because I’m a decent person (I’m not) but because of a sexual orientation that only a fraction of a percent of the population shares.

Please tell me I’m wrong.

2 Likes

The question is does it get results in natural selection terms?
There’s certainly a very strong urge in many people to have sex with other people. There’s a limerick about this:
“They say as life’s candle burns late/sexual passion begins to abate/and it may be it’s so, don’t ask me, I don’t know/since I’m only a hundred and eight.”
(Having said that I have an asexual relative by marriage, it can’t be that uncommon).

However, the urge to harass is surely a power thing? I tend to think that the two things are separate. There have been people of enormous drive and political power, like Alan Brooke, whose diaries show he had an extremely loving and tender relationship with his wife and wouldn’t have dreamed of approaching any other woman. And there’s Trump.

3 Likes