Not Feminism 101

I stopped with Episode 1. That universe just no longer interested me.

5 Likes

The Royal Navy believed this right up until it didn’t any more, some years ago. Now they win Stonewall awards for LGBT inclusiveness. Things can change but people have to want them to.

Ah, but [pilpul hat on] you don’t know where the narrator is supposed to be. It might be someone in the distant future and a far away galaxy talking about an era a few thousand years after our own time, which would explain why (a) they look so human and (b) seem to have inherited the most idiotic of our political systems. It’s all relative.[remove pilpul hat].*

*It never ceases to fascinate me how so many Western science fiction writers basically write about feudal or imperial societies, even (in a Pournelle book whose title I forget) saying this is because imperialism is the system that works. Asimov was an honourable exception. Didn’t some colonials fight a war to get away from imperial rule?

8 Likes

That gets back to the theory one of my high school history teachers told us about, that revolutions wind up petrifying the very institutions they’re supposed to be revolting against. Certainly I found it easier as a Canadian teenager to really understand how the American government works (not how it’s supposed to work, how it does work) once I learned more about 18th century British royalty.

ETA: that helps explain the incredible resistance to a woman president, too. Yeah, Canada only had Kim Campbell, but we’ve had enough women provincial premiers I don’t think that many people are truly opposed to the idea.

11 Likes

I have … issues with Torch of Freedom, but Eric Flint challenges a lot of the neofeudal tropes in his works. And of course Ken Macleod does too.

3 Likes

You just hit a big fucking nail on the head; they’re not human and neither is Superman… yet they damn sure still resemble White Americans who are mostly male in every way that counts.

11 Likes

The only good thing about the “hello they’re aliens” thing is that it might possibly explain why there are so so few women, even in the newer films. Maybe we have seen many women from that galaxy, but to us they present as men.

ETA: not that that would make the right-wing fanboys happier at all.

12 Likes

I’m totally shipping Luke and Biggs now.

8 Likes

Flint is a great world-builder, terrible at romance. (1632 is a great example) Fortunately his partner in crime - Mercedes Lackey - is fantastic all around. She’s really underrated as a science fantasy author.

3 Likes

This stupid whining about how the new XYZ movie is all of a sudden left wing SJW politics is indeed a slap in the face to anyone who grew up

15 Likes

It is, but on the other hand I’ve noticed that Storm Trooper and Darth Vader costumes are way more popular than they used to be. Used to be everyone wanted to dress up as Leia, Luke, Obi Wan, or Han – all of whom are way more comfortable and way less hassle to cosplay as.

8 Likes

I haven’t really noticed a change. The 501st has been a huge thing for decades.

5 Likes

You mean, like the American Christian version of God?

10 Likes

Yeppers.

Speaking of, have I ever told the story of how I pictured god as a frog in pink swim-trunks and a fishing hat when I was three?

I bet ya dollars to donuts my mom still has that drawing somewhere.

CHICKIED edited this post to spoiler the gif that may be problematic for people with sensitivity to flash.

10 Likes

Pics or it didn’t happen!

6 Likes

*lolz

Dude, my mom keeps everything; first I’d have to travel to Ohio… in the winter.

And then I’d have to sort through her stuff to find it; talk about finding a needle in a pile of needles.

10 Likes

There are lots of reasons to hate Mulroney, but the Kim Campbell situation makes me want to spit. She is a highly intelligent woman who may or may not have been a good PM, but Mulroney torpedoed the idea of a female PM for decades now, the same way women CEOs get torpedoed. No, it is not progressive and feminist to make a woman your leader when the ship has struck the iceberg under your control and half of it is already underwater.

We may not be as resistant as a country, but we’re still wary, after that bullshit. She can’t even get the credit Joe Clark gets.

9 Likes

cf Theresa May over here.

7 Likes

I would go to those services!

11 Likes

I totally expect that when I die, that’s how the creator will look to me in the afterlife.
:slight_smile:

10 Likes

Fucking hell. It seems all my safety tools are failing, here and elsewhere. Is this a new type of pain, or is Waterfox unable to block the old types?

4 Likes