Not Feminism 101

Gah.

Then there’s

10 Likes

Dude, no.

You pray for forgiveness.

You hope for forgiveness.

You might even take a measure comfort in worshipping a god who is forgiving by nature.

But you should never take that forgiveness for granted, and you certainly shouldn’t speak on your deity’s behalf.

'Cause I know that if I had god-like power (note: this is one of may reasons why I should never be given power), I would put the requests of the people who falsely claimed to speak for me, and I would put them on the bottom of my pile of eternally-long list of things to do.

12 Likes
8 Likes

In Jurgen, by James Branch Cabell, Heaven turns out to have a War Roof which is placed over the world whenever there is a war on to stop the blasphemous prayers of both sides for divine intervention from reaching it.
I also like Heller’s God Knows, in which King David has the Lord miraculously instruct him to do whatever it is he wants right up till he (David) has a sudden attack of insight into himself and the Lord leaves him.

Thank incomprehensible first cause of the universe that I’m an atheist and am aware that all this stuff is going to /dev/null.

9 Likes

I prefer thinking it’s going to 127.0.0.1.

5 Likes

See - I would have said that machines ARE magic, precisely because we set them up.

3 Likes
5 Likes

not-my-circus-not-my-monkeys-my-monkeys-fly

16 Likes

Gotdamn! I had no idea Iris DeMent was such a badass.

6 Likes

When I bookmarked that video, I tagged it with “video”, “shrew”, and “wtf”.

Well done. :+1:

2 Likes

I thought we did salvage The Other Place… that’s why we’re here!

11 Likes

The movie it’s a trailer for is one of the sillier “science mistake makes big animals” trend of the 50s. IIRC the killer shrews in the movie are friendly dogs with some carpeting draped over them.

5 Likes

Nice play on words!

4 Likes

I’m a little surprised they got through this whole article without mentioning vibrators.

13 Likes

I can see women gaining sex partners who can talk and reason on a mature level because dashing men bots will have the option to be programmed to do so, unlike human men.
On the other extreme, men have already proven how low they can sink recently with the brutish damages to rented sex bots that have been reported.
I think we’re going to diverge more severely.

11 Likes

Mark this as a noted historical juncture of when the Morlocks and Eloi separate

12 Likes

Interesting. I wonder if Wells meant that as a metaphor for men vs. women?

3 Likes

Possibly, although the allegory is more usually read as proles vs bourgeois.

13 Likes

This makes Katie Roiphe make a lot more sense.

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-selling-of-katie-roiphe

7 Likes