Not Feminism 101

Gaslighting and now doxxing… She may call herself a feminist, but we’re not on the same side. And NYT can suck it.

5 Likes

I had the concept in mind when I wrote the comment, but abandoned it as I realized this was more of an issue of gender over class politics.

4 Likes

That’s how I always looked at it.

6 Likes

Men are gross. I don’t know why anyone puts up with us.

But yes, if someone were to hypothetically create a robot that possesses all of the positive attributes of a potential sexual partner but none of the negative attributes, that robot would be preferable to a human. However, that’s a massive hypothetical.

Besides, realistically, humans generally prefer human companionship. People can be legitimately interesting, and obviously much more real. I would have a much easier time relating to a human who is intensely interested in something because it drives them, than I would relating to a machine that possesses a lot of knowledge on a subject because they zapped it into their memory bank.

10 Likes

“The Cylons Were Created by Man. They Rebelled. They Evolved. They Look and Feel Human. Some are programmed to think they are Human. There are many copies. And they have a Plan.”

13 Likes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.U.R.

6 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes
8 Likes

First take upon reading the headline: we do?

I mean, I’ve had some queen bees, but I’ve had some… king bees? too.

15 Likes

I mean… I prefer male bosses… cuz they’re easier to work for, and I’m a slacker. LOL

Women work their employees much harder, IME. Because men have less to prove in the workplace. Female bosses have more to prove and thus require more from their workers. I’ve seen this and worked this first hand.

My main job these days is to listen attentively to my male boss, sometimes he tells me about his daughters, or his TV script, sometimes its about work, but it is my job to listen to him, I’m good at it, he enjoys it, whatever, I get paid well so I don’t really care. But I’ve never had a female boss require me to sit attentively, smile and listen to them speak about whatever for 30 minutes.

10 Likes

OhMy.gif

4 Likes

In R.U.R., the robots are cheaper when they don’t feel human.

6 Likes

The slacker part of me prefers male bosses, because they’re more easygoing, but the easily bored part of me prefers female bosses, because they will always find something challenging for me to do.

I work in a male dominated building in a male dominated company in a male dominated industry. Shit doesn’t get done here. Most people just stand around flapping their jaws about football or whatever. There’s at least one guy near me who sleeps at his desk. I kill time by coming here when I’m supposed to be working, and I’m one of the more prolific people here!

If I were the boss, I would encourage conversations like that. Working for a big faceless company for decades sucks the life out of people. It’s important to have outside interests and passions, because passions drive people. If someone loses that passion, it will most assuredly carry over into their work, and more importantly, life without passion is kinda shitty.

Then again, that kind of thinking is why I’m not the boss.

Yeah, being required to sit there attentively and smile and listen just strikes me a little odd. Definitely a little sexism there, combined with guys not used to being told that what they’re saying isn’t important and they should shut up and let a man talk :confused:

5 Likes

Just like me.

(I think that was kinda the point of the story)

1 Like

You don’t say! LOL
"easygoing" is not how I’d put it. Entitled and lazy and sexist is how I’d put it. But again, I’m a GenX slacker through and through, I have no real ambitions other than “pay the mortgage, retire to the country” so whatever. I know I’m not doing any of the sisterhood any favours in allowing this to go on… but these are the last batches of the “old white men”, they still hold all the power, they still do all the hiring, and unfortunately they still require me to sit and smile and listen to their stories, every day. One day soon they’ll retire, and so will I, and hopefully this will be done.

9 Likes

Good point. I just don’t notice it because I’ve never been subjected to it.

Yep. Same. To me, work is for paying the bills. I work to live, I don’t live to work. If someone pays me more, or treats me better, or offers more benefits, you better goddamn believe I’m switching jobs. But because we don’t work for one big faceless company for decades at a time like the previous generations did, and because we don’t have the same blind respect for white male authority figures that they did, that makes us slackers. Fine by me. I see what working hard without working smart does to people.

5 Likes

I have – 30 minutes or more. One of them once followed me into a bathroom stall (we’d both decided to relieve ourselves) because she was so big on eye contact and talking talking talking she lost track of her surroundings.

She’d talk herself out of things too. She started one talk praising me for something and by the end of an hour and a quarter it was the worst thing I’d ever done.

She’d talk through prep time and then scold me for not being ready after she’d eaten up all my work time by talking.

Then I’ve had men bosses who would assign giant tasks half an hour before quitting time, expect it for first thing the next morning, and absolutely refuse to acknowledge they’d just made me work half the night.

Then there was the project manager who, upon learning I’d been hit by a drunk driver on the weekend, immediately said, “I’m glad it didn’t happen on a workday so it doesn’t impact the schedule”. No “how are you feeling” or anything.

So in net, no gender differences. Good and bad bosses all along the spectrum.

18 Likes

Speak for yourself! I’m in a union! I’m not going no where! I have a pension! (I’m literally like one of two people I know of my friends that has a pension, she’s union too.) I’m staying here another 20 years!!

13 Likes