Not Feminism 101

2 Likes

Read the text pictured.

6 Likes

Ugh. Is that the one that goes, “Historically women haven’t been granted loans, so they’re an unknown credit risk, and therefore high-risk and less likely to get a loan?”

(For “woman” insert your choice of equity-seeking group.)

9 Likes

Nope. It’s about how you don’t even need bias to perpetuate inequality, just ignore the inequalities that exist.

10 Likes

Either way it sounds like a book I should read. I placed a hold at the library.

5 Likes

BURN IT ALL DOWN

14 Likes

I lurve her.

13 Likes

This is good.

More like Ed Young please.

11 Likes

I’m sure a lot of abusers tell themselves their victims want it or wanted it. … And a lot of survivors tell themselves they want it, or wanted it, because they’re not in a situation to say they don’t want it.

Fuck.

Fuck power relationships.

Fuck people with power fucking (over) people who are vulnerable.

8 Likes

Well, there’s another director I don’t need to feel bad about not liking their films.

15 Likes

Its so grotesque too because the actual facts of the case are out there, in explicit detail if anyone wants to read them… and if he read the facts, and came to the conclusion that she consented then I never want any woman (let alone 13yr old girl) be alone in a room with Taratino…

@gadgetgirl - I wanted to like Kill Bill so much, but I couldn’t get over the “Pussy Wagon”.

10 Likes

I’ve seen Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and that CSI episode Tarantino directed. None of them were my idea to watch, and I really don’t see what the big deal is.

7 Likes

There’s a certain type of “strong female lead” film that is less about women, and more about what the director can do the woman. How much pain she can endure to show how “strong” she is. And man, am I tired of that…

I just watched Brimstone.
So its been on my mind. I really wanted that movie to be more than it was.
But in the end it was just how much this one (female) character can suffer.

8 Likes

Well, that and the Bride getting her revenge.

Tarantino’s work is such a mixed bag for me; I enjoyed Rez Dogs, Pulp and Kill Bill, even though I think Tarantino himself has issues and most of his films are overrated… plus I don’t think I’d like the man himself if I met him. (I can just imagine trying to affectate a fake “cool Black accent” in my presence and me having to restrain myself from assaulting him.)

11 Likes

“I knew that I care about equality, so I deluded myself into thinking that I wasn’t part of the problem. I assumed that my passive concern would be enough. Passive concern never is.”

Beautiful.

10 Likes

That ties into the “automating inequality” mentioned above. And, yes, we do need more Ed Youngs. For multiple reasons.

8 Likes

Hellooooo Suckerpunch…

I always see it as an update of the “patient Griselda” stories from medieval Europe: man forces woman to endure all sorts of suffering, then in the end declares if she can bear all that without complaint he’ll love her.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=Qv4nBQAAQBAJ&pg=PT33&lpg=PT33&dq=medieval+Laura+patient+Griselda&source=bl&ots=jv9nSJHl5N&sig=vBkbvl-xgntP36VtZ16ntzjRhkA&hl=en&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwjj-eactJLZAhWjxFQKHc1uAxsQ6AEwDHoECA0QAQ#v=onepage&q=medieval%20Laura%20patient%20Griselda&f=false

11 Likes

I skipped that one completely; nothing about it sounded worthwhile, not even the special effects.

5 Likes

Suckerpunch was terrible, just one long over-experienced videogame trailers masquerading as a movie. There was a decent plot twist at the end, but not enough to justify sitting through the rest of it.

6 Likes

11 Likes