Not Feminism 101

11 Likes

Go Chloe:

7 Likes

Ahhh, the mansplaining goes on:

https://twitter.com/BryanQuimby/status/964565631956856833?ref_src=twcamp^copy|twsrc^android|twgr^copy|twcon^7090|twterm^1

The epic response:

https://twitter.com/Lexialex/status/964580983608455169?ref_src=twcamp^copy|twsrc^android|twgr^copy|twcon^7090|twterm^1

7 Likes
7 Likes

Accurate.

https://twitter.com/neo_url/status/965218136160178178

17 Likes

24 Likes

…the mentally ill men who don’t do that, too.

18 Likes

An article I read just recently (I can’t find it now), made the point that the common element in mass shootings is not mental illness at all. It’s anger, which is often apparent well before the shooting, in the form of domestic violence and abuse, and angry posts to social media.

And of course, if you’re looking for a way to generate lots of anger, just look to American right-wing media.

11 Likes

This one?

15 Likes

The one I’m thinking of was more recent, but that expresses the idea very well and in more detail.

5 Likes

Yeah I have seen another article, too. But it’s interesting as I learn more about abuse that abusers don’t act on anger. They use anger as an excuse to hurt. They act as if it is impulsive and uncontrollable, but it’s deeper. To pull off s shooting takes planning. It’s not rage, it’s - honestly, I think these school shootings to the shooters seem fun. Like a game. A project.

8 Likes
9 Likes

I remember talking with a friend of mine who works at the CBC.
All the female journalists are single or divorced.
All the male journalists are married and have wives at home.
They joke that the women need a “wife”.
So the question is: why can’t men stay home to support their wives careers?
aka - why don’t men want to be the “wife”?
Is it that they know its a bad deal, for the “wife”?

13 Likes

I don’t know.

In my idle musings about possible future, I’ve considered a life as a househusband, and it seems like it’d be pretty suitable for me. I enjoy cleaning, don’t mind cooking (though I prefer baking), and I’m very particular about how things in my place are organized, so being the one organizing things might be for the best. I’d like to spend as much time as possible with any kids I have, and I completely respect my grandmother for being a stay-at-home wife and mother (for 8 kids, no less).

So, I’d be more than willing to do it, but I can really only speak for myself.

12 Likes

I used to “joke” about wanting a wife, too. But now it’s not so funny. I think this role is really messed up in a lot of ways, and in other ways I feel that I have struggled in trying my best to be a good wife and that that, also, has been a frustration - chafing against the role but also frustrated that I haven’t really been supported to do a good job with it. Is it easier to be a wife if you are part of a society that appreciates and expects it of women?

re @nimelennar, my dad did not work when I was a teenager, or not really, and it seemed that his role as househusband was limited to what he felt like doing - the cooking, the straightening - but the parts that did not interest him, like the cleaning or setting up doctor’s appointments or driving us places - he was free to disregard. It was a little different situation as he was an alcoholic and he was very into his own projects of writing and art that he would treat as work though there was no discussion of making money at them.

10 Likes

Personally, I’d love to be the wife!
@ChickieD, being an artist working from home (and not an alcoholic), it’s the perfect setup.

10 Likes

Looks like an interesting book:

7 Likes

I’m still trying to convince MrPants that I should be a housewife!
Why are all the men that want a housewife physically repulsive to me? LOL

9 Likes

I would LOVE to do this. The best times in my life have been when I was at home on lengthy paternity leave. Unfortunately, for us, it’s just not financially possible.

7 Likes

The affect is worse in women, and non-existent in men. Get cleaning men!

10 Likes