Not Feminism 101

Because some men’s preference for seeing toddlers as sexual objects is a more important right to protect than basic human rights for those toddlers.

11 Likes
13 Likes

While in the hospital, Amanda posted a series of emotional videos on her Facebook page, explaining what had happened. She felt a desperate urge to share, to unload her grief for others to see and reckon with. But it backfired. In the comments, she said, people were blaming her for what happened.

Why? Because she left.

Seriously, WTF?!

9 Likes

When a man is caught committing a violent felony, it’s the fault of the woman or girl closest to him.

This is how they think.

11 Likes
7 Likes

I really love the mom’s comment at the end: she’s got two of them on right now. I mean, seriously, dress code for 3 year olds???

11 Likes

Right? At that age they’re still getting used to the concept of “you have to wear clothing in public”. I’ve known several toddlers who would strip down the moment they felt like it, and were not impressed when their parents attempted to dress them again.

That sundress is actually pretty close to what little ones wore until the 18th century or so, girls and boys both.

11 Likes

A while back, I was at my folks’ house, and my four year old niece walked in, just ahead of her mom and sister. Before greeting anyone she said “Can I take off my pants?”

Girlie gives no thought to our silly social norms.

10 Likes

It is oppressively hot right now. I’m wearing a lightweight t-shirt but heavy jeans. That sounds like something I’d say right now.

5 Likes

It’s 62 degrees here; :expressionless:
Don’t hate me.

4 Likes

Original Celsius or reverse Celsius?

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s 144 degrees Fahrenheit where she is

4 Likes

Kelvin, of course; she’s just making the common mistake of saying “degrees” when that nomenclature doesn’t apply to Kelvin.

6 Likes

She lives on Titan.

6 Likes

Slate has an OK article on Trisomy 21 and abortion. I wish they would have included more perspectives from the parents of Down’s adults.

4 Likes

My neighbor’s baby has Down’s. She is anti-abortion. Her pregnancy was a tough time for them, and she was upset to learn how many Down’s fetuses are aborted. I think it really tested her faith.

5 Likes

The baby was likely to have Down syndrome. Now they just had to decide what to do.

This framing annoys the crap out of me.

It’s very simple: either you want to carry the pregnancy to term and have the resulting child (“have” including the adoption option), or you don’t.

Everything else is whatabouting.

If the results of a medical visit change your mind, for whatever reason, then they do. But second-guessing the pregnant person’s reasoning is not on the table. Ultimately they get to decide if they want to carry to term or not.

14 Likes

There is a book called “The Normal Child” that I read when I had one child who was “normal” and one who was high needs (I recommend it). Ironically, when I was pregnant with the normal one there was some concern that she would have a genetic disorder, so I had to do the calculus on whether or not I could meet the needs of the first child if the second child took all my time and attention. If you’re with a sick baby/child in the hospital for months on end, you’re not parenting the OTHER child, you know? Plus, the costs, and how that would affect what could be afforded for the other child.

This is what the anti-choice lobby doesn’t get in general. Women are not lone creatures: they’re already part of a family and have to figure out whether or not their unique situation will work if they carry an unexpected/unwanted/medically dangerous fetus to term.

14 Likes
9 Likes

I am not good at social skills, but I’m very good at following checklists methodically; I would love for there to be a more formal courtship tradition (though, of course, more egalitarian than the Victorian one).

Just clearly defining what people entering into a relationship (or attempting to) should expect from each other would make my romantic life so much easier.

10 Likes