Not Feminism 101

I don’t think you’re alone in that!

8 Likes

Twitter debate brewing around Germaine Greer:

(just presenting samples, haven’t poked into it myself yet)

4 Likes

I saw the article’s headline in the Grauniad a few days back and noped the hell out of there. Greer doesn’t really have anything to offer these days other than being Mark Latham with a uterus.

6 Likes

Just came out as a rape apologist?

Andrea Dworkin quotes on of Germaine Greer’s essays for Suck, tw for rape apology:

> Well, listen, this is one of the things a woman has to understand, and I get a bit impatient sometimes with women who can’t see it. A woman, after all, in this country is a commodity. She’s a status symbol, and the prettier she is the more expensive, the more difficult to attain. Anyone can have a fat old lady. But young girls with clear eyes are not for the 40-year-old man who’s been working as a packer or a storeman all his life. So that when he sees her he snarls, mostly I think, because she’s not available to him. She’s another taunt, and yet another index of how the American dream is not his to have. He never had a girl like that and he never will. Now, I think that the most sensible way for us to see the crime of rape is an act of aggression against this property symbol… (but I’m not sure about this at all —I mean, I think it’s also aggression against the mother who fucks up so many people’s lives). And I must think that as a woman, who has not done a revolution, have not put myself on the barricade on this question, I owe it to my poor brothers not to get uptight. Because I am that, I am a woman they could never hope to ball, and in the back of my mind I reject them too.

1 Like

This is messy.

8 Likes
11 Likes

Another great writer with lousy opinions. Gorgeous, lyrical prose, yet such a narrow-minded, hateful little man.

9 Likes

Having heard him speak live… I can see what he’s getting at. The tell is in the second statement “the homosexual groups don’t want you to criticize them”. That does happen, where an activist group takes a ridiculous stance on something, or does something counter-productive as a protest action, and anyone who points that out – including the group’s own members – gets shouted down as being homophobic or a self-hating racist or whatever sign is easiest to pin. It’s exactly why I steer clear of grassroots actions these days.

3 Likes

Bradbury was also delusional if he genuinely thought there was “never a danger of censorship” in the US.

Absolute power corrupts, absolutely; there’s no “tends to” about it.

13 Likes

Two other phrases I like, to the same effect:

All systems are corrupt.

• Motto of the Cult of Eserion, from The Gods are Bastards

In any bureaucracy, the people devoted to the benefit of the bureaucracy itself always get in control and those dedicated to the goals the bureaucracy is supposed to accomplish have less and less influence, and sometimes are eliminated entirely.

• Pournelle’s Iron Law of Bureaucracy
10 Likes

241 pages. TL;DR

1 Like
8 Likes

I nearly wrote “would incels be into the classics?”, but then I remembered Infinite Jest.

And Catch-22, much as I thought that was cool as a teenager.

And and and.

So… yeah.

6 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

Victory of sort…https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2018/06/05/miss-america-eliminates-swimsuit-competition-and-wont-judge-contestants-on-physical-appearance/?utm_term=.a767d347b44a

7 Likes

Guh.

12 Likes

I’ve started asking my male co-workers to “smile more”. Typically just get more scowls, but it’s all good.

11 Likes

I smile a lot. For my own reasons, but never on command. Being told to smile has the opposite effect, initiating Active Bitch Face, a.k.a. you can see the go-fuck-yourself in my eyes.

Gratefully I’ve reached an age (middle-age) where it doesn’t come up very often anymore.

9 Likes

Obligatory, especially as a woman who has always been admonished to “smile more…”

12 Likes