NY State is One Senator Shy of Single-Payer Healthcare

As red-staters hold back progress at the federal level they create even more impetus for blue states to go boldly forward. The New York Health Act, providing “universal, comprehensive health care to all New Yorkers without premiums, co-pays, deductibles, or limited provider networks,” has passed the State Assembly and is currently one senator short of passage. The future is looking bright:

[quote]
But even with all mainstream Democrats and the IDC on board, they would remain one vote short, meaning Democrats need to either pick up a seat before 2018, persuade a Republican or win the chamber outright in 2018. This being New York, a Republican senator was coincidentally indicted just last week, so it’s always possible a new seat could become available.

If not, said Dinowitz, his hope is that the newfound energy among grassroots Democrats can translate into some Senate seat pickups in 2018. “We need to add one more person. I believe the only way to get to 32 is through the election process,” Dinowitz said. “There is a lot of energy now in my area and other areas. Meetings are attracting huge numbers of people, and a lot of people are coming out, most of whom have never been involved in this way. If it’s sustained it could really change the dynamics of the elections come 2018.”[/quote]

If you’re a New Yorker this might be a good time to call your senator, but regardless of where you live, there is reason to be hopeful that single-payer healthcare is nearing a tipping point analogous to medical/recreational marijuana. Ironically, Republican opposition to Obama’s compromise on healthcare might be the very thing which prompts states to go universal, strengthening the case for single-payer nationally.

10 Likes

Perhaps New York and California should form their own “United States.” :thinking:

And I mean that in a possitive way.

6 Likes

Calling

3 Likes

If both states passed single-payer, that would represent almost one fifth of the US population.

11 Likes

For some reason this triggered me to remember the scene from Sicko when that couple have to move into their daughter’s spare bedroom because they’ve lost the house to health care, despite both of them having insurance. I have images of Grapes of Wrath-type treks west and east of health care refugees.

7 Likes

I’m sure you could include Oregon and Washington state for a full west coast sweep.

2 Likes

Possibly, but you’d have to cede Northern California and Western Washington.

1 Like

You mean Eastern Washington? Same probably goes for Eastern Oregon.

1 Like

Yes. You’re right. Eastern.

2 Likes

That’s fine. That gives a coastal corridor right up to BC. Then they can all join Confederation and get the Feds to pay half of their healthcare budgets. I for one would welcome our new provinces, the more so in that it would end our Toronto-centricity. :wink:

6 Likes

You’d finally get that long awaited for Province of New Albion.

3 Likes

But only 4% of the Senators.

6 Likes

Yep. The state of Jefferson don’t want anything to do with that I’m sure.

New England probably does though.

3 Likes