O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

That’s a pretty weak argument. I would have gone with “Damn, that’s an ugly piece of crap!”.

But, living in a community designed by a zillionaire mining engineer as a shrine to his family and their cows, the residents seem to have a variety of more serious problems.

Sort of like Celebration, Florida, n’est-ce pas?

3 Likes

That’s total projection. The kids aren’t frightened, the NIMBYs are too Canadian to say “that’s a damned ugly statue.” The people that live there, do they vote Conservative?

4 Likes

Markham? Generally, yes. Maybe Liberal if the Liberals are running more blue than red, or if the Tories have really put their foot in it lately.

Definitely not NDP or Green.

5 Likes

Crap. I wish we could push all the rain Ontario’s been getting across the prairies and over the Rockies to put these fires out.

7 Likes

Climate change? More like climate _ex_change, amirite?

4 Likes
7 Likes

So, is what the label says true about this being a Canadian thing? Is this cultural appropriation? I’ve always considered Canada another country; when I would tell people, though, that I’m English/Scots/French/Canadian/German, they look at me as though I’m nuts.

7 Likes

Well, Canadian usually comes at the end of all the hyphens - we generally self-describe in a hyphenated fashion. Given the order you use, people may think that you’re a German national of English/Scots/French/Canadian descent. Given that we had an airbase at Lahr for quite a while, I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s actually a thing. :wink:

10 Likes

I don’t hyphenate, I pause between words (comma), and I usually include a great-grandparent; I had one who was English, one who was Scots, and one who was German. And the Canadian is actually French-Canadian, but French people came over from France to Canada first. I figure if one’s born in Canada, no matter what one’s ancestry is, one is Canadian.

My surname was Gotreau or Gotreaux (I’m never quite sure), and according to what I was told growing up, a great-aunt (?) changed it to Gothro because of how the FCs were treated by the ECs. I wish I could find out what actually happened. Not to say that’s not true, but there must be more to it than that.

3 Likes

Well, you usually don’t find all-dressed chips outside Canada, but it’s like Ketchup chips or Coffee Crisp – not something to be concerned about. Canada just happens to be where people will buy that stuff. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

Ah. We’re a peculiar lot, as can be expected from people who describe chips, pizzas and hot dogs as “all-dressed”. Come to think of it, my generation described both French fries and crisps as chips.

I think it may be that, although there’s probably not that much to choose from as to ethnic mix between our countries, we were, in your great-aunt’s generation, an overtly bicultural nation (not without tensions, as you know), and are now probably more overtly multicultural. (The key word here is “overtly”.)

This leads to:

“Where are you from?”

“I’m Polish-Canadian.”

…which would be a declaration of both Polish and Canadian culture.

For instance, in certain contexts, I’ll call myself Scottish-Canadian. My family background is actually Scots, Irish, English and Mohawk, but, in my estimation, Scottish attitudes and culture have come down most clearly. (What I don’t know about Mohawk culture could fill an encyclopaedia, possibly several - that’s quite high up the family tree in my great-grandmother’s branch. Great-grandfather, however, came directly from Ross-shire.) There is an element of picking and choosing one’s cultural identity in all this, and we’re generally good with this here.

Doesn’t mean we aren’t keenly Canadian; though.

Dunno about the origin of your family name’s spelling. Both Gotreau and Gotreaux are legitimate spellings. French names can have variant spellings and pronunciations, sometimes quite a few. Favre, Favré, Faure and Fauré are all the same name, for instance. What I find interesting about the spelling of your name is that its French pronunciation is pretty much the same as Gotreau or Gotreaux - French doesn’t have a theta sound.

3 Likes

Oh and Cheezies beat Cheetos any time you want to have that battle.

1 Like

Can you have all-dressed Cheezies?

Toronto, your cops are failing at the whole “brutality” thing.

10 Likes

Lucy is in Michigan, as am I, and All-Dressed have been available on and off since spring. Lays changes up flavors here with regularity. They tried “spicy ketchup” one summer, but they sucked because they weren’t ketchup like we can buy across the St. Claire or Detroit Rivers.

6 Likes

We are not immune. OTOH, Boston isn’t the only place where people will show up to shut that shit down.

6 Likes

I can see his point, but he’s a Tory patronage appointee who got backstabbed by a Tory government, and for that I don’t sympathise at all. If he won the suit but got nowhere near the claimed damages (millions of dollars? seriously?), that would be okay. One of those $1 damages scenarios.

Mike Duffy is suing the Senate, federal government for $8M

2 Likes

Thanks, Canada!

3 Likes

What’s MCR?

1 Like

My Chemical Romance? (I had to look it up.)

2 Likes