O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

Manchester. It was chalked on the pavement in Picadilly Gardens.

5 Likes

Given how many northerners immigrated here during the Thatcher years, that makes total sense.

3 Likes

Martian colonial republic.

4 Likes

That whole expense scandal still felt trumped up to me. I submit expenses for executives. We have processes and procedures. Allowable items and non-allowable. There’s a whole department JUST for expenses! So this idea that he or others were submitting expenses that were unallowed it just bizarre. There are so many levels of approval needed! And people like me are the first line of defence. “No you cannot claim all your home cable, only the internet part” - because WE’RE the ones that know this shit, and then it goes up through 2 local approvals, and then 3 higher levels of approval, like seriously, if he’s guilty of this then so are all those people in that chain! They just wanted them out. Also weren’t some of the rules changed and they retroactively disallowed things? How is that a crime? Bah. This whole thing was dumb! I hate defending Duffy, but this always left a bad taste in my mouth!

3 Likes

Bunnyhug?!? Where the hell did you come up with that, Manitoba Saskatchewan? (my bad)

2 Likes

Thats always been a weird one.
What I want to know is why don’t NFLDers say toque!
Everyone I know has been sharing this all week.

The Toronto one made me laugh. The silent T is how we know people from here vs. people not from here. :wink:
Also, its a fucking garburator ok! I will die on this hill!

3 Likes

Disposall. I’m a garburator - just ask anyone who knows my appetite. If you need a hill to die on, I’d suggest going up the Sherman cut in Hamilton - it’s probably the closest. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

But we agree on Chesterfield right?
And you called the tv remote the “converter” right?

4 Likes

We agree on chesterfield. I don’t call the thing for the TV anything but “that #$@&^%%” - I don’t watch TV at all.

3 Likes

Nah. I’ve heard chesterfield, but it’s always been too long a name for a couch.

A converter is a thing that changes DC current to AC (or vice-versa). The thing you change channels with is definitely a remote.

OTOH, despite having never gotten farther East than that one trip to Sask, I do not put the final T in Toronto unless talking to Americans who look at me weird. When I feel snarky, it’s Tronna.

And pencil crayons forever!

5 Likes

Coloured pencils. You can even occasionally get them at a dépanneur…

I have a feeling the term “pencil crayon” was invented to cause French speakers’ heads to explode.

4 Likes

Also English-speakers’ heads. Pencil crayons are what you get when you run Crayolas through a pencil sharpener.

I’m not even Canadian, and I don’t say that second ‘t’.

Minnesota doesn’t have a ‘t’, either, for what it’s worth. But in this case, it’s replaced by a ‘d’ instead of nothing.

3 Likes

Thats the doofer.

1 Like

Thats what they’re called in England.

It’s the g.d. clicker box. I use it while sitting on the couch drinking the pop I bought at the variety store, and doodling with my pencil crayons.

Getting pedantic, that’s an inverter. A converter changes DC to DC at a different voltage. A rectifier changes AC to DC.

7 Likes

And look where England is now. It took more than a few 'splodey-heads to get there, I think.

You mean it’s the ^&%$#@ box that hides in the crevices of the chesterfield on which you sit whilst drinking a soft drink you got at the dep and doodling with your coloured pencils.

7 Likes

For reference, a woman got in his face,ranting at him to end Sharia Law. Because racists gonna racist.

9 Likes

I was especially not impressed with how she kept asking questions but not accepting (or giving time for) answers. I hope someone sits her down when she’s calmer and explains the dudes with the turbans aren’t Muslims. It might be the first step to her being less racist.

5 Likes