O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

Its amazing to me how this story has legs.
I saw it on twitter pretty much as it was happening (I follow all the NDP leadership contenders) and now I’m seeing it on my friends TLs… and they live in the USA. Its kind of amazing (tho they get the context wrong, he’s not the NDP leader, he’s running for NDL leader, but close enough). And I think the BBC shared it too? Amazing.
Personally I’m all for Charlie Angus, but Jagmeet is a close second. :slight_smile:
Go Canada!

2 Likes

What is a burger essentially but a beefcake?

(Taken on Main Street, Vancouver)

6 Likes

[Googles]

How about that. I always thought he had brown eyes.

CanConOverload

Taken on Wellington Street.
Sorry if this photo isn’t Canadian enough for you.

Sorry if my sorry isn’t Canadian enough for you.

This was taken at the cottage in Pike Lake, 15 km from Perth. You let me know if this isn’t Ontario enough for you.

Okay, I think maybe that’ll do 'er.

9 Likes

Clearly Canadian, because the cookbook title is missing the words “hot dish.” :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

This morning I learned Allan MacEachen is actually NOT immortal.

1 Like

I collect cookbooks… especially vintage community cookbooks…
if you ever want to give that to a loving home I’m here for you!

3 Likes

I collect them too! Especially '40s-'60s Supermarket or Butcher imprinted ones. Here’s one I’m asking dibs on.

Found this one too, but it’s not Canadian by any stretch of the imagination. It does have a high resale value, and I’ve traanscribed the Cabbage-Walnut Salad and the Peach-Sherry Pie recipes from it:

4 Likes

I have this one from Dominion! It’s not terribly international, despite the title, but if you ignore the authenticity factor the recipes are pretty good.

(Also, don’t read the colour text. The colour text for each ethnicity/region was cringe-worthy even in the mid-80s when this was published. It has not aged well.)

3 Likes

But is it Toronto enough?

Everyone with an interest in graphic arts should see that cover.

2 Likes

Do you have this one?

Not just a cookbook, it’s full of handy tips for you ladies (in 1959! I come from another world):

And you can order your own copy:

7 Likes

Anything with “Nepean” in the authors’ byline is mercifully not Toronto enough at all.

4 Likes

Even Nepeanians (Nepeanites? Nepeons?) can aspire to Torontohood if they truly believe.

2 Likes

Reminds me of my mum coaching my grandfather in the car on the way to the States when I was a kid:

“Just say you’re from ‘near Toronto’. Nobody knows where the hell Ballinafad is.”

4 Likes

I do.

Now.

3 Likes

Very not Canadian, but as long as we’re sharing old cookbooks, this is my oldest. My mom’s sister gave it to me, presumably she picked it up at a Minneapolis garage sale.

Doesn’t that orange-ish turkey just look scrumptious?

4 Likes

I’m crossing the streams!!

6 Likes

Not Canadian at all, I’m afraid, but all the photos of slightly battered looking cookbooks reminded me of this, which may be the single saddest book ever published:

SX311_BO1,204,203,200

5 Likes

For one… army?

Single != sad. Single often means one has escaped from something way sadder. Happily coupled people think that because first they were single and then they were coupled and happier. But people can be coupled and in absolute hell too. Single can be brilliant in comparison.

Stephen King has a good line about it, something like “but she had a job and a house and her dog, and that was enough.”

8 Likes

I’ve spent a great deal of time happily single and I didn’t mean to imply that single = sad. There’s just something about the juxtaposition of the author’s slightly desperate, pleading face, the fact that they are microwave meals and the huge quantity of food on display that makes the cover almost tragic to me.

“I made all this food in the microwave for myself but maybe you could share it with me! …Please?”

6 Likes