O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

Smoked salmon mousse is one of my favourite things in the world.

Whatever that thing is, it’s not smoked salmon mousse, it’s a sin against nature and humanity.

3 Likes

I HAVE THIS BOOK.

I kid you not.

3 Likes

I have the Edith Bunker cookbook - but some of the inner pages were taken out!

3 Likes

Hmm… My grandmother was doing this sort of thing well before the '70s. Her generation was born in the 1890s. I suspect Jello became a convenient replacement for aspic. There is a bit more continuity to the cuisine than you are taking into account, I think.

3 Likes

True, but the 70s was sort of their last hurrah. I remember Julia Child had a story about being served gelatin salad at a luncheon party in California, after she’d lived in France. IIRC it was one of the reasons she decided to wrote her cook books.

Gelatin salads and desserts make sense in Edwardian cuisine, where if you make them authentically they’re a real way to show off culinary mastery. After going through the “just add water and stir” processed food revolution, they become the culinary way sign for lazy, pinchbeck cookery.

2 Likes

These are friends of mine.
All the recipes are from books I had. LOL
The very first one is from a book I bought while visiting her in LA, that prompted this series.

2 Likes

It started going off the rails with the addition of cottage cheese. Until that point, it was looking like something you could use to fill a pie plate mould after lining it with a mixture of graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter (cinnamon to taste).

3 Likes

Do we have a case for early ninties.
Marge’s-Delicious-Gelatin-Dessert-Screenshot-1
Looks like we do.

1 Like

They not heard of the crusades?

Not put the impact of that into place, maybe.

ETA: what a shocking number of people have not heard of is the Moorish invasion. That had a huge influence on European culture, and it often gets skipped right over in school history classes on the rush to cover the Renaissance and colonialism.

3 Likes

http://www.whatsdifferentincanada.com/

2 Likes
10 Likes

Yes, that’s it.

Oui, c’est ça.

6 Likes

Less than happy Canada story. (But needs sharing):

P.S. Fuck John Tory and his assumptions.

2 Likes

I nearly got into a fight with my mother in a restaurant over this because she claimed it would be “wrong” for Mr. Singh to represent Canada should he become PM because he wears a turban and that mixes religion and politics which “we don’t do in this country”. Because Harper was all about the separation of church and state (narrator: he was not).

Then she compared Sikhism to Happyology* and claimed that “it started about the same time.” (Wow… I had no idea Happyology started in the fifteenth century).

Please, mother: Just. Stop. Talking.

*not the real name, but we don’t need to be harrassed or sued.

10 Likes

… I really need to know what Happyology is. LOL

2 Likes

It’s very, umm… scientific.

6 Likes

It’s a cult bunch of guys involved in the study of science.

4 Likes

I’m assuming the higher level practitioners do a lot of couch jumping on day time television?

4 Likes

We’ll, one did. So scripted. Much uncanny valley.

5 Likes