O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

Ha! That was the most astonishing thing to us when we moved from TO to the Niagara region. Buffalo 29! We got THREE channels! :smiley: Monster movies on Sat afternoon…

3 Likes

Nope, not at all! :grin:

6 Likes

We used to get WPTZ (NBC - Plattsburgh NY, North Pole NY, Burlington VT), WCAX (CBS - Burlington, Montpelier) and WMTW (ABC - Poland Spring ME) in Montreal by aerial - channels 5, 3 & 8 respectively. WMTW was always a bit iffy, but 3 and 5 came in strongly enough that, when my brother and I had an apartment off Lakeshore Rd. in Pte-Claire, we could pick them up on rabbit-ears.

4 Likes

Oh, the days. :smiley: We had all kinds of complicated creations of aluminum foil on the antenna…

6 Likes

My grandfather had one of these attached to the TV.
With little stickers on the dial where to turn it to tune into different channels.

8 Likes

Hehehe! Didn’t need to mess around with the rabbit-ears too much - those stations had plenty of wattage to make sure that the signal got through to Montreal, and both WPTZ and WCAX transmit from the top of Mt. Mansfield in Vermont. Plenty of incentive for them to get through as well - Montreal is easily the largest market for all three stations.

5 Likes

I’m not sure this was right, but friends had one. Very uptown. We called it a ‘rotor’.

3 Likes

Its is indeed a rotor! Its an “antenna rotator” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The PM has spoken to Trump, how is this being reported stateside, if at all?

http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2017/04/25/prime-minister-justin-trudeau-speaks-united-states-president-donald-trump

1 Like

Ha!!

Jinx! @gadgetgirl

7 Likes

For readers’ edification:

Funnily enough, the top of the comments section seems to be backing Canada on this and calling out the fact that the article doesn’t mention the subsidies paid to US farmers. I didn’t dig too deep, because, well, newspaper comments section.

5 Likes

I really recommend taking a look at the differences here.

Same call. Two very different reports.

8 Likes

Edgelord David Akin implies the Canadian Charter of Human Rights ought to be scrapped with his latest blowhard column:

Summary: Rightwingers and Quebec hate it because it guarantees minority rights, therefore we should scrap it.

4 Likes

It’s been on my cable subscription since long before I moved here. I suspect folks in the metro feel it’s a right to watch HNIC. :smile_cat:

[Looking forward to a cheap image host for this site so I can repost my Many Suits of Grapes compilation gif.]

5 Likes

God fucking dammit

3 Likes

It’s sad that John Tory got — would it be in appropriate to use the word “crucified?” — for suggesting that the separate school system is unfairly biased towards Christians. He was absolutely right.

I mean, I didn’t vote for him (I rarely vote any brand of conservative), but it’s a shame that the issue that arguably cost him the election was one that he was on the right side of.

5 Likes

The only thing Tory is, is “better than Ford” - which puts him in the company of the average spoiled toddler.

I voted for Olivia. </3

3 Likes

Oh, I’m not saying that he was the best choice for either Premier of Ontario or Mayor of Toronto.

I didn’t vote for him for the former, and I wouldn’t have voted for him for the latter if I could have.

I’m just saying that he was right about that one issue, and it’s a pity that that was what sunk his campaign, because it means that no one else is going to be willing to take that stand for a very long time.

4 Likes

WOAH! What happened?

5 Likes

One down.

5 Likes