O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

Haha oh right, French! Its easy to forget that you need to speak French if you want to win on a national level.

5 Likes

Oh thank FSM for small mercies.

5 Likes

Well, especially once they do the math and realise Alberta + rural Ontario won’t win them Parliament.

I’m relieved. I can’t believe how many O’Leary fans I know. When they talk about him I just go, “Uh huh, oh yeah, no way eh?”, when what I want to do is grab them by the lapels and scream “Are you STUPID???”

But that would get me arrested and hurt my job performance review, so I don’t.

7 Likes

This, so very true. One of my coworkers is devastated.

Others are amused, because this is what happens when you try for a designated bilingual position and think you can shortcut the language portion.

7 Likes

Hein? Un homme intelligent comme lui ne pouvait pas s’instruire dans le français? Étonnant! Complètement inattendu!

(Why is my nose growing?)

5 Likes

Bien sur, I’m afraid you’re assuming O’Leary right about this ahead of time. Maybe next election (although personally I’m hoping not).

I will give him credit for one thing: he quit when he figured out he was missing a major qualification. It’s a pity more people running for office don’t do that [glares in the general direction of Etobicoke and the Ford office].

2 Likes

Now, now, the older Ford boys have well-developed skills for government - according to what I’ve heard, they ran the drug trade in deepest Scarberia for quite a while.

6 Likes

And that is precisely why I don’t like them.

1 Like

Have you read Crazy Town? Its soooooo good!

1 Like

I was going to, but there was some fat-shaming of RoFo during its promotion – by Robyn Doolittle. That was a bit of a deal-breaker for me. Rob Ford’s waistband was both the least of our worries and a cheap shot.

I hope Doolittle’s publicist yelled at her about that.

1 Like

There’s none of it in the book. Seriously, read it, its amazing.

3 Likes

In Toronto news, this totally fucked up my morning commute today.

5 Likes

I like Wonfor’s attitude, though.

4 Likes

Appreciate the push! I’ll have to join the hold queue at the library.

3 Likes

I put this on the morals/self thread because it mentions fjords, but really it belongs here:

5 Likes

I remember hearing about something like this when the whole Rob Ford* crack scandal blew up. Apparently the thuggish older brother who’s still in government ran the hashish distribution operation for his area of town during his high school and college years. Some of the family’s current cronies were also said to be involved and, since they weren’t going into politics, maintained their shady connections to the city’s illegal drug trade.

ETA: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/globe-investigation-the-ford-familys-history-with-drug-dealing/article12153014/?page=all

[* he’s dead, you know. Should we start a thread?]

6 Likes

I was watching it on CityTV. The whole thing was handled with impressive professionalism.

3 Likes

And they are small mercies, because this is what’s left for all those who were distracted by Trump-lite

Leitch is the most obviously horrid of the ones remaining: I guarantee her “values test” for immigrants wouldn’t contain ones I recognise as Canadian, except by accident. But the others have their own, more hidden dangers.

What scares me is if Trudeau pisses enough people off… Most of these guys could make Harper seem reasonable by comparison.

5 Likes

I’m amazed she got out there to be honest! She seemed so chill just sitting there swinging her feet. Amazing. I hope she gets the help she needs. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

BC Voter PSA #2: just who the hell am I voting for?

Global TV has a full riding list, including candidates not in the big 3.

You only get one vote. Make it count. The Washington Post is wrong: democracy doesn’t die in darkness but when it drowns in a sea of apathy.

Don’t know if you are eligible? Wondering where you’re supposed to go? See Elections BC for all your voting details from eligibility, ID requirements and voting times and locations.

4 Likes