O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

I… I just did a physical double-take.

FUCK THAT.

4 Likes

I can’t blame just the BC police, it appears that every police department has a similar code, if not the exact same one.

NHI – No Humans Involved, Margot L. Butler observes that the project derived its name from an acronym used by San Diego police to refer to “‘misdemeanour murders’ of biker women and hookers” (2006: 156)

‘Bare Life’: Disposable Bodies, Race, and Femicide in the Trial Coverage of Vancouver’s Murdered ‘Missing’ Women (PDF Download Available). Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/266388016_'Bare_Life’Disposable_Bodies_Race_and_Femicide_in_the_Trial_Coverage_of_Vancouver’s_Murdered’Missing’_Women [accessed Dec 05 2017].

7 Likes

Its December 6th.
A day of remembrance in Canada.

I’m going to cross post this to the Feminism thread, because this is why we’ll never shut up.

9 Likes

It’s a good issue to cover, but I found the reporting just weird. They throw away a standard line about the “have” and “have-not” provinces, but their profile example is about an Alberta man denied coverage and a Saskatchewan man receiving it. Last time I checked, Alberta was still mining the tar sands for all they’re worth and Saskatchewan was struggling with unemployment.

1 Like

Also Alberta is WEIRD about medical coverage.
You have to pay directly for it, its not bundled with your income tax like in ON. So, when I moved there, I had no idea I had to register and PAY for my health care. Until they sent a notice to my work to start garnishing my wages! And then HR was like “we pay these for you, you just need to tell us!” but then I have to pay tax on that amount because it becomes a taxable benefit. So, as I said, fucking weird!

I think this is less like a have and have-not issue, and more an “Alberta is fucking weird” issue.

5 Likes

Totally agree. Also, I felt bad that the Alberta guy couldn’t just move to Saskatchewan for the three months to get the coverage. Probably would be cheaper than the 50 grand, even if he had to quit his job and then find a new one.

1 Like

My riding has a Liberal MP for the first time ever thanks to one by-election of four held today. The last time a Liberal MP was elected in any part of the now current riding was in 1949, when William Mott’s riding was from Delta to Langley.

6 Likes

Did you know that since the Westminster Act of 1931, Canada has declared war only once?

Canada declared war on Japan on December 7, 1941.

That other country, the victim of an aerial attack on the Hawaii port of Pearl Harbor, declared war a day later.

5 Likes

As a local, do you think Dianne has a shot at taking over from Christy?

2 Likes

I suppose she does, I’d prefer to see her in than Mike Bernier. Fun fact: I went to private high school with former Education Minister Mike Bernier.

2 Likes

I wonder how Andrew Scheer will digest his morning news that the second seat CPC lost was one that was held by the right for literally decades. Could be worse: it could have been the Lloydminster seat lost too.

5 Likes

I was talking about this elsewhere, that racism in Canada is different from that in America.

And then this popped up on my FB feed.

So, to clarify, SOME of the racism in Canada is different, some of it is the same right wing conspiracy nuts y’all got too. WTF is a “French terrorist”?? /sigh

5 Likes

ISIS… in St. Thomas.

I’ve been to St. Thomas. Its two biggest claims to fame are that about a hundred years ago a circus elephant got hit by a train there and was killed, and that Ryan Gosling is from around there.

Not exactly ISIS-attracting.

But then, I’ve been insisting since the late 80s that Southwestern Ontario is more messed up than anyone is willing to believe.

5 Likes

“Frenchie” + "Terrorist"
I still don’t get that connection…

I’m going to go with “mental health issue” + “FoxNews”

6 Likes

Probably FLQ something something. They’re not exactly au courant out there.

As far as mental health issues go: there are three major hospitals with mental health wards in the London area. St. Thomas had a full-blown hospital dedicated to mental health care; my ex-FIL used to work there. So if people get discharged and don’t have anyone to support them on the outside… they tend to stay in the area.

Good.

4 Likes

My reasoning failed at the “must bring bat with me to Pharmasave.”

[eta:]“Wait, this isn’t Boppers Drug Mart? Sorry!”

6 Likes

It’s too close to Detroit. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

More specifically, it’s downwind from Detroit and Sarnia and Hamilton, according to a geography teacher I used to work with. It’s like this collecting pool for airborne pollution.

2 Likes
3 Likes