O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

I remember when I lived in London ON, the afternoon CBC radio show had traffic reports for Toronto. It was very weird to hear it when you knew you were 200km away.

I’m just thinking of all the news they’re gonna miss. It was under-reported before.

4 Likes

I’m looking at the list of papers: Kanata Kourier-Standard, Orleans News, Ottawa East News, Ottawa South News, Ottawa West News… The Glebe Report still remains, but that is outside of Postmedia’s control (independent volunteer-run paper).

Maybe time to break up Postmedia.

4 Likes

I was trying to find a video of the Jagmeet Singh (leader of the NDP) dancing, and I failed.

BUT I did find this.

Which is these lovely guys trying to teach MPs how to dance. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

For the TOers, some glamour shots:

4 Likes

And a TO inside joke:

I always feel so sorry for Paul Magdar.
(That fur store is one of few left in the fur district.)
And we all owe our Sunday shopping to Paul.
He was a pioneer, and he got sorely punished for it.
I wanted to go buy a pink fur from him when he was closing and I didn’t and I regret it!

Side note: an alternative bar I went to in the late 80s early 90s was in the basement of a building in the fashion district, and often in the alley we’d find discarded moth eaten fur coats, that were no good for rich people, but were excellent for us freaks. We all had mink collars and fox tails for a while, until they all fell apart. Catch-22, you were a hell of a place.
http://thenandnowtoronto.com/2014/09/then-now-catch-22/” - I’m in one of those photos, and no I won’t say which. :wink:

2 Likes

I am not sure that we’re truly as different as implied, or that Canada can claim all the high ground, but:

2 Likes

I think we’re more different now than we have been in the past.

2 Likes

So… we think there’s a serial killer in Toronto, targeting young women who are out late at night.

There’s been 3 missing women from the same area in three fucking days!
One was found strangled (by her Mom who drove all the way down from North Bay because the police are less than fucking useless!) the other two are still missing.

https://twitter.com/canadianpup/status/937493174838333441

Click through for the thread, its worth reading.

Also, in the same area, is a man in a black car pretending to be an uber and trying to pick up people.
This literally happened to a friend. She was out drinking, called an uber at 2AM, and got in the wrong car. The uber driver SAW her, and phoned her asking her why she’d gotten in the other car, and she freaked out and started screaming and the dude kept driving, but the real uber driver followed them flashing his lights and honking and eventually the dude stopped and she ran out and got in the uber. The dude sped away and neither got his plate. And now we have numerous people missing and some shady shit happening.

As someone who was a teenager during the Scarborough Rapist years and Paul Bernardo/Karla Homolka, this is all rather terrifyingly familiar.

7 Likes

Last summer I was walking home from the streetcar stop. It was not late – maybe 10pm – but late enough it was dark out.

This black jeep went by me with its windows down, and I could hear the people inside talking – they seemed familiar with each other. Then the woman said, “you’re going the wrong way” and then, as the jeep headed away from me, I heard her calling for help.

I did try to see the licence plate, but it was already too far away from me.

It’s been bothering me ever since. Now I’m really wondering.

6 Likes

Jesus…
It could just be people fooling around?

2 Likes

And that’s just it! Like, it’s so hard to judge – were they just being goofs, or was she calling for help while trying not to make a scene at the same time? The jeep did stop at a red light – assuming she didn’t have mobility issues, she could have got out then. But that’s not to say she was too scared/drunk/whatever to not think of that.

I just really don’t know what happened.

3 Likes

But… But…but… Uber is perfectly safe and wonderful, and why wouldn’t women feel safe getting into a strange, unmarked car? /s

Sorry, flashbacks to an earlier conversation. I know your friend was probably saved by the real Uber driver, but the fact remains that the system is too easy for bad actors to exploit.

2 Likes

TBF my friends and I had more run-ins with actual taxi drivers than I’ve heard of with uber drivers… so I guess we’re just back to ban-all-men? Women for everything, including drivers!

2 Likes

More from the CBC on the case. This is starting to remind me of the famous Jane Doe case from the 80s. I’ll have to watch our for Doe making a statement.

I’m so fucking glad her Mom found her and embarrassed the fuck out of the police so publically they are being forced to actually do something! Because if you go missing in the village they just assume you’re a sex worker, and that means no investigation, because they do no care. Honestly, I will never forgive any of them for “NHI”. Yadda yadda “#notallcops” fuck that, yes all cops!

4 Likes

Just reading that article gave me flashbacks to Picton: cops were told there was a serial killer but because the victims were sex workers and mostly Native, they ignored it. As an institution, cops are not who they pretend to be.

7 Likes

Yup. They knew, for ages they knew, they didn’t fucking care. Because the victims were supposedly junkies, prostitutes, and native. Because NHI. Fuckers all.

5 Likes

Sorry, what’s NHI please?

3 Likes

Cop slang, the used it in the Picton case. NHI = No Humans Involved.
Its disgusting.

5 Likes