O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

Nonsense. A sense of self-preservation is perfectly consistent with Canadian values. Maple surple is a diabetic coma waiting to happen.

3 Likes

Indeed. I’ve reported her to the CRTC* for insufficient Canadian content.

*(Canadian Raisin Tart Commission)

Any true Canadian would consider that an acceptable tradeoff.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Meanwhile in Newfoundland…

3 Likes

Ah. I was pronouncing that wrong.

It’s “B’ys” as in “I’s the b’y that builds the boat.”

That makes so much more sense now.

1 Like

… I mean, I did preface it with “Newfoundland” :wink:

6 Likes

On the one hand, sounds like some good points were raised. On the other hand, I don’t like the idea that Indigenous women with long hair must never ever wear turquoise jewellery with a beige top lest they cause outrage.

7 Likes

And they were her own damn clothes too! They didn’t dress her, she dressed herself! Do dumb!

7 Likes

I’m not on FB, but I thought get comments about how her culture deals with controversy (as opposed to what was happening on-line) were interesting.

It reminds me a bit of when people freaked out that Kristoff from Frozen was a blonde, apparently not realising that indigenous people from 19th century Scandinavia often were blonde. That is, the people doing the loudest freak-outs are not from the culture being depicted.

6 Likes

Remember when the blonde Roma girl was seized from her parents because people are stupid and assumed that she was kidnapped… until they did a DNA test and gave her back? People are dumb. Also I follow a lot of Canadian Indigenous Twitter folx and its been enlightening to say the least.

You know this story? Its a fucking travesty and I don’t know how she keeps it together.

They keep censoring her and threatening her because she’s tweeting about it.
There are more First Nations kids in care NOW than there were in the 60s scoop.

6 Likes

If all people see in that image is a cartoon Pocahontas, that says more about them, than her. That is a woman dressed in a sweater, and jeans, like a lot of women dress, without raising eyebrows, she doesn’t look at all like a model for the character.

If the first thing you think of when you see a young Native woman is “Pocahontas”… Check your own issues.

Can we maybe ask people first, before we try to turn them into victims?

4 Likes

On a lighter note, some good Canadian news.

11 Likes

Pity it’s from the Beaverton. They’re probably spoofing this:

5 Likes

On the other hand, it’s funny 'cos it’s true.

7 Likes

13 Likes
5 Likes

That intersection isn’t the same without the “BElieve in JESus” dude.
He’s been there so long he has his own Yelp rating, 4/5

2 Likes

If you aren’t all following Dr. Jen Gunter on twitter, you really really should.
She’s single handedly taking on Gwyneth Paltrow and GOOP and her pseudo-medical nonsense.

2 Likes

After lunch we started with a couples therapy session and the therapist, Terry Real, was quite engaging and provided us with something that had been missing all damn day, common sense. A married couple took to the stage to talk about their communication issues with Terry and GP in front of a room full of strangers and it was the least fucked up thing we heard all day. He never mentioned God or nature or Goture once. Thank you Terry.

You could say that he brought Dr. Gunter back to…

(•_•). ( •_•)>⌐□-□. (⌐□_□). 

The Real world.

Honestly, though, this reminded me of nothing more than the old Peanuts cartoon where Lucy badgers another character to pay for advice at her “Psychiatric Help” booth, and when the character gives in and pays the nickel, Lucy’s advice is “A fool and his money are soon parted.”

3 Likes

It is, and it isn’t.

Dr. Gunter has been calling out GOOPs woo for while now because they make super dangerous snake oil claims that are harmful to sick and dangerous people.
See list here: https://drjengunter.wordpress.com/category/bad-goop-advice/

AND because GOOP went after Dr. Gunter

Yes, buyer beware, but in America, the land of insecure healthcare, being sold snakeoil by a mega wealthy health “expert” is a special kind of evil.

2 Likes