O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

It wouldn’t fit through the window. And technically, to have a spare snowblower I would first have to have a snowblower. I had a spare teenager for a while, but they’re so hard to start.

April Lucy is the cruelest month.

9 Likes

Hopefully it’s not that bad.

4 Likes

Preach it, brother!

3 Likes

Hah? What’m I missing here?

2 Likes

Through the cunning use of strikeouts, I changed “April is the cruelest month” to “Lucy is the cruelest”, in reference to the taunting picture of your backyard. Did that not come through on your computing machine?

And 70 degrees? What do you take me for? Do you live in a sauna?

Oh, wait. You meant 21, didn’t you?

5 Likes

Check out the waves on Lake Ontario in the background.

Forgive me, I’m not used to being referred to as “the cruelest”.

Um…what was taunting about it? The swampiness?

My desktop, or the one in my head?

For one day. With winds up to 18-20 MPH. Then down to 50s. Then, 40s. And today…30something (0something to you, or close to):

Frozen daffodils.

4 Likes

For those who don’t know: that’s not the ocean, that’s a freshwater lake about 350 miles inland from the ocean.

I can only imagine what Lake Superior is doing right now, if that’s Ontario.

5 Likes

The near-tropical lack of snowdrifts. But if it wasn’t a taunt, I retract everything I said. :smiley:

Poor daffodils. I’m worried about my rhubarb, which until yesterday was sprouting merrily. It may pull through — rhubarb makes crocuses look like wimps.

6 Likes

More Lake Ontario:

5 Likes

I love when he says, “oh geez man!” In that perfect hoser accent.

2 Likes

Yeah, but that top video is probably from around the mouth of the Baptism River in Minnesota, if it relates to the photo shoots these people have done in the last few days. That being so, I don’t doubt it has been nasty around Thunder Bay and other points east on the North Shore.

Wonder where the Burlington video was taken. Looks a bit like Lakeshore near Burloak looking towards the Oakville pier, but it has been so many years since I lived down that way that I could be wrong.

2 Likes

I just got woken up about 20 minutes ago when the air circulation stopped in my building. Yup, power outage. I can hear the generators for the hall lights going.

I called it in to Toronto Hydro so we could get on what must be a very long list of outages. Fingers crossed.

Crap. I really didn’t want to brave the roads today to go to work. And I’m not sure how long my hot water heater will stay hot. Crap crap crap.

ETA: oh thank goodness. Hour 3 and the power came back on, just as I was washing my hair in the sink to save hot water. So unless something else happens, I don’t have to toss that big pot of soup I made last night to last the week.

Yeah. Definitely working from home today so I can keep an eye on what’s happening locally. Judging from how the traffic times are jumping up, it’s miserable out there.

7 Likes

Power went off here in Etobicoke about 8:00pm and was restored between 1:30 and 3:00am. (I’m back, folks! Did you miss me?) Given the type of storm, I wasn’t really surprised, and I had done some minimal preparation. Wow, we have a lot of flashlights.

I feel for the Toronto Hydro crews working in those foul conditions, but the overtime must be wondrous.

Good idea. Our street has big tire-grabbing rows of slush, and the city isn’t plowing.

I think so. My brother-in-law took some stills in what looks like the same area. In the shots facing west, the Burlington Skyway is visible and quite close.

6 Likes

They never plough the side streets in my neighbourhood because they are lined with cars doing overnight parking (two car families with one car garages).

Plus I commute to Mississauga, and it has been my observation that once you get to the QEW/Dixie area the weather and the roads are usually worse than in TO.

3 Likes

END THIS WINTER
BRING BACK SUMMER
KEEP YOUR GUARD UP
No harm comes to her!

Finally found an article that sums up what’s been going on with this journalist. I am so never giving Maclean’s a single dime ever again.

1 Like

Do you know the trick of freezing a small container of water and then putting a coin on top, leaving it in the freezer that way? If you see that the coin has moved to the center or, heaven forbid, the bottom of the container, you’ll know the food isn’t safe to keep.

7 Likes

I’ve never heard of that; that sounds incredibly useful. Is there a specific minimum/maximum size for the container of water?

1 Like

You’ve reminded me of the time that not one but THREE transformers caught on fire on poles in backyards on a block that has no alley or other way to get into the backyards except (usually locked) private gates, on a night when it rained nonstop, oh and did I mention that it was Halloween? To make matters even worse, one of the lines was down across the cyclone fencing that marks the property lines for everyone on the block, which means stepping into a backyard or touching any of the fence anywhere on the block would have been VERY BAD NEWS. Utility company and fire department…they worked all night, in the friggin’ rain, having to clamber over fences for the places where no one answered to let them in via the gate.

Whatever they’re getting paid, it’s not enough for a night like that.

5 Likes