O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

4 Likes

Yet more examples of calm “police” work in Toronto:

Great job remaining calm throughout all of that!

5 Likes

Dude, no.

Mental illness can’t make you an asshole.

If you’re already an asshole, it can exacerbate those tendencies. Bipolar disorder, which sounds like what you’re describing, can especially affect your impulse control.

Mental illness can affect how you think of yourself, turn you into a general misanthrope. It can make you seek out common ground with people who are assholes in the same way you are.

And, in certain cases, it can affect how you perceive reality, the very sights and sounds you hear.

What it can’t do is create misogynistic, or racist, or islamaphobic, or homophobic beliefs out of whole cloth. Those are all yours.

You want people to think you’re a better person now? Fine: prove it. Show through your actions that these are not things you believe any more. However, chalking it up to what sounds like bipolar disorder, when most bipolar people are nice people who alternate between being sad and unmotivated and being energized and impulsive, is just plain not cool.

10 Likes

And how much did this cost?

Seriously, it’s shit like this while the elevators at stations remain non-functional why I vote “no” when the question comes up about giving TransLink more tax dollars.

TransLink is the epitome of the rot of P3s. They have a monopoly, and their status as a private company means limited oversight of the decisions they make with the taxpayer $$$ they rake in from various sources.

I don’t mind paying taxes for services, even if I don’t avail myself of them. I do mind lining the pockets of overcompensated executive, and their hallways with expensive art.

Want some money, boys? Try selling a painting or two.

6 Likes

According to the article, not a cent of public funds; it’s part of a Visa ad campaign:

The collaboration did not cost TransLink anything and the transit authority did not pay or hire Freeman for the voice work; the announcements are part of an ad campaign paid for by Visa Canada.

“Ads featuring Morgan Freeman’s voice are part of an ad campaign created by Visa,” explained TransLink spokesman Chris Bryan. “Visa bought ad space on our system to highlight the ability to pay at fare gates using contactless Visa cards.”

The actor has been the longtime voice of Visa credit cards and their marketing campaigns — Visa and Mastercard will be the only credit cards accepted by TransLink’s new tap-to-pay card readers at this time.

5 Likes

Forgive me if I am skeptical about that explanation. Not you, them. They’ve been caught with their hands deep inside the cookie jar, far too many times.

Maybe I am being irrational, but the whole thing smells heavily of bullshit.

3 Likes

Your weekly reminder that Andrew Scheer is a shitstain and federal Conservatives are trash people:

Most punchable face in Canadian history.

7 Likes

A cheaper option was considered turns out Gordon Freeman’s voice didn’t go down as well with focus groups.

8 Likes

OMG.

7 Likes

That is right near my work, and close to where I used to live too.

This is also the third explosion in this area in the last three years or so.

A few blocks to the east, a man committed murder/suicide on his wife. He hadn’t planned to blow up their house, but it was a consequence. Police discovered it wasn’t just a furnace malfunction when neighbours found letters and journals the wife had written scattered on their lawns by the blast.

Then there was the explosion/fire a little south of this most recent event, which was blamed on a gas leak.

And now this, which officially has been linked to an IED.

8 Likes

At least it looks like no-one is going to die:

8 Likes

Holy crap…

I used to live at Hurontario and Bristol, and work at Hurontario and Aldridge. That is disturbingly close, especially to the former.

From the article…

Police issued CCTV footage of the two suspects, describing them both as men around 5ft 10 in height with light or fair skin, and appealing for help identifying them.

[…]

“We have no indication to call it a hate crime or any kind of terrorism act,” he added.

WTF?

He suggested that a birthday party, possibly involving children, was taking place inside Bombay Bhel at the time of the blast.

WTF?!

5 Likes

I know, but it’s prudent. This might be personal, for instance. The Eaton Centre shooting was a personal vendetta that involved a lot of innocent bystanders.

Also: Hurontario & Bristol? That’s where I used to live!

6 Likes

Agreed, but you’d think they’d use the phrasing, “We’d prefer not to speculate,” or something similar. The way they phrased it, it seemed that they were preemptively ruling it out.

Yeah, I lived there for about a year and a half (2014-2016) before moving to Ottawa.

4 Likes

I know a lot of lefties who take that, for better or worse, as code for, “it totally is that but we’re not gonna say it in public.”

This is one time where I really sympathize with the police. Mississauga is a very diverse community – way more than even a lot of the surrounding GTA. It’s also somewhere I’ve seen overtly white supremacist crap driving to and from work at least twice in the last eight months. Considering I rarely even run after-work errands in Missy, and leave the office during the day even more rarely, that’s a lot of sightings. If the bombing is a racist act, I’d even go so far as to say the police are smart to blatantly stick to the physical evidence, because both retaliation and escalation are real possibilities.

3 Likes

Um, yes please? If the arcade is any good I might just live in one of these. :wink:

Especially given that one of the core features of the place is to provide easy access to “international” ingredients that are very hit-and-miss up here.

6 Likes

Yes, Pleeease.

6 Likes
6 Likes

This is masterful trolling, and clearly was researched and ready to go well before Trump’s announcement.

Also:

"[Canada’s aluminum producers] responded to the announcement in March by factoring the tariff into their prices, and then essentially pocketed that 10 per cent surcharge during the two months that Canada enjoyed a tariff exemption.

“Trump wrote a cheque for $600 million to Canadian aluminum producers,” said Jorge Vasquez of Harbor Aluminum in Austin, Tex.

In effect, Trump’s actions transferred more than half a billion dollars from the U.S. economy to Canada’s since March."

9 Likes

Ohhhh yeah.

What I find interesting is how many Americans on Twitter are going, “Wait, Canada got angry about something? And they did something about it?” (Local mutants know better, naturally.)

It just occurred to me that this might explain why the Liberals supported the Kinder Morgan pipeline, as much as their environmental platform suggests they shouldn’t. Alberta oil might become more important in the near future. All the more reason for homegrown, independently-networked renewable energy.

6 Likes