O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

Krispy Kreme sank without a trace, but apparently they’re making another try. My experience matched the Canadian consensus, that their donuts are painfully sweet. And I’m a guy who will gladly eat a Timmies donut from time to time.

5 Likes

I spent 20 years in the south and still enjoy the occasional number 1 combo from CFA. But I find the further you go from the south, the less the general public thinks that it’s anything special.

2 Likes

I just had a Krispy Kreme this morning, from the one lonesome store in Mississauga. It was a gid reminder of what’s icky about them. This one was still warm, which is supposed to be when they’re best.

They are squishy, not cakey.
The oil from them sticks to the roof of my mouth.
Yes, they are over-sugared, and the sugar flakes go all over the place. And what’s left still makes them too sweet.

Tim Horton’s does a lot of terrible things to food, but I still like theirs better.

9 Likes

Which is why it amazes me that in places with out Krispy Kreme shops, there are Krispy Kreme sold in stores (that came from a “nearby” KK store) They are awful.

I’ve not been to a Timmy’s in decades, but I liked them then (although I’ve heard much has changed in the years)

I’m stuck with Dunkin (not worth it), Grocery Store (hit and miss) and a few Mom and Pop that are generally good, but pricey.

6 Likes

I don’t know if it’s the nostalgia factor, but no doughnut I’ve eaten as an adult compares to the ones of my childhood. It’s either that or Winchel’s Doughnuts in Southern California were actually the best ones ever.

I’d be glad to try Tim Horton’s, if I’m ever actually near one. I’ve been hearing about them for years, but I’m sadly too far South…I have to admire Canada and Canadians from afar. :wave: Sigh.

5 Likes

Was that back in the day when each Timmy’s made donuts in the store? 'cos that marks a watershed between when I’d rather have a Tim Horton’s donut and when I’d rather have a cinnamon bun at Grounds for Coffee. OK, a quarter of a cinnamon bun.

5 Likes

Just when you were adjusting to the sex ed curriculum crap, and the budget crap, and all the other already-done crap…

What the actual fuck, DoFo.

2 Likes

That’s an exceedingly expedient way to fix† the council.

†As in “Fix the Race”, Yes.

4 Likes

“Fix” as in “fix a race”, right? Most of the stuff that’s broken about TO City Council at the moment was broken when Doug’s brother was mayor.

3 Likes

What is with Toronto?

3 Likes

The quintessential Canadian question.

6 Likes

The Cons use it as a scapegoat because the rest of the province thinks we get too much provincial money.

We also generate more provincial money, but they don’t like to think about that.

Fun fact: if these ward changes go through, we’ll have about the same number of wards as Ottawa – a city with less than 1/3 the population.

8 Likes

I can’t even remember the last time a federal government felt the need to threaten a provincial government like this.

4 Likes

*** cough *** Kinder Morgan *** cough ***

Seriously, though, what Ford is doing is obvious. TO as a whole doesn’t support him, so TO’s gotta go (so to speak).

AFAIAC, incorporated areas should be able to determine their own districting, it should be based on population in that if you have X population, you must have a minimum of Y districts, and the provincial government’s job is to make sure that you don’t drop below that minimum.

If a city wants to waste its money, that should be up to the residents of that city. If only to prevent butthurt autocrats from pulling shit like this.

7 Likes
6 Likes

There are Tim Horton’s all over SE Michigan. Everything tastes like cardboard. Including the coffee. Oddly, if I were to drive 45 miles south and east, I would find Timmy’s that sell stuff that taste like food. Because I would be in Canada.

10 Likes

https://www.canada.ca/en/global-affairs/news/2018/08/canada-deeply-concerned-by-saudi-arabias-expulsion-of-canadian-ambassador.html

7 Likes

None of the companies you mentioned come with a side of intolerance. Arby’s failure in the GTA (but not the rest of Ontario, there’s been one in my hometown forever, and it’s still there) can probably be chalked up to the type of food they serve (“alternative” fast food) not going over well. In comparison, most of the complaints around Chick-Fil-A have centered around the organization itself, not the food.

I won’t even try them for that reason, here or when I travel to the US, whereas all the other companies you mentioned are “fair game” and will end up as a part of my mealplan solely on the quality of their food alone.

4 Likes

Also:

3 Likes

Way to go, Doug. Let teachers know the requirements to which they need to completely overhaul their entire year’s syllabus, less than two weeks before most schools start up for the year (and three weeks after the year-round schools start up).

I’m sure that’s lots of time for them to plan out a curriculum and do a complete changeover of course material for the year.

8 Likes