O, Canada - all your canuck news worth sharing!

Look. It’s simple. OK? We just want our. Shoes. Back.

4 Likes

So I just got this on my phone:

I didn’t take any of “Sophie’s” instructions. Blocked and reported as spam.

The “are you ready…” question sounds an awful lot like the loyalty questions Trump so loves.

9 Likes

Sophie was just… giving you a choice.

What’s so bad about that?

1 Like

Beginning Friday or Saturday and continuing through the Canada Day long weekend, expected daytime highs are in the low to mid thirties with humidex values into the mid forties. Overnight low temperatures will only fall to the low twenties, providing little or no relief from the heat.

There is still uncertainty regarding when the heat event will come to an end. Current indications suggest the heat could persist into the middle of next week.

This will likely be the most significant heat event of the season thus far. Heat warnings will be issued as the event draws nearer.

Not happy.

5 Likes

Not happy AND my AC seems to be on the fritz since they replaced my water heater last winter (the water tank links with the heating/cooling unit; heating seems to work).

3 Likes

We escaped the apparent rainstorms other areas of Southern Ontario received today. Now onto the heat.

Going to be quite the Canada Day weekend!

4 Likes

ETA: The general manager who fired him should be deluged with Karl Popper’s Paradox of Tolerance.

6 Likes

Tonight at the Ottawa Blues Fest:

Should be interesting (although we do get into the question of why Blues Fest so seldom does the blues these days…)

5 Likes

…and it was interesting - old Ian (now 71) can still play up a storm and put on a show. What he can’t do is carry a tune anymore. Time has caught up to his voice.

2 Likes

Aaaand wealthier people start to get their first inkling that maybe the Ontario PCs’ policies make no damned sense:

7 Likes

Not only rich folks. I dithered too long about ordering my EV (I was leaning towards the $35K VW eGolf), and lost out on the subsidy. The Tesla 3 starts at about $45K CDN, directly competing with the Chevy Bolt, and in the same price range as any number of gas SUVs.

Preaching to the choir, @gadgetgirl. Dofo is setting this province back at least 20 years, and he’s only getting started.

6 Likes

As far as I’m concerned, this is the sort of stuff that should have come out a year ago.

I know someone who’s a big Tin Tin fan, and knitted them a Captain Haddock sweater once. He wore it all the time. His friends thought it was awesome.

But I guess Galloway is one of those dudes who just has to make everything about sex.

https://twitter.com/chelrooney/status/1018231463639052288

1 Like

So this happened last night, not far from where I live:

Police have released that the suspect shooter was 29 years old and male. Witnesses say he was pale. Young white man doesn’t confirm, but raises the possibility of, another incel attack – or Nazis, or Proud Boys. There was a Proud Boy rally in Ontario over the weekend.

6 Likes

Toronto police have released the shooter’s name:

How does someone with chronic “psychosis and depression” get a handgun, in Canada?

I hope we find out more, because this is not adding up for me yet.

4 Likes

Illegally, like just about everyone else. The number of legal handguns is a drop in the bucket.

The required background checks should have prevented this individual from acquiring any firearm.

3 Likes

Yeah. Guns are like drugs. Almost everyone knows a guy who if pressed could admit he knows a guy who knows a guy.

If you have a drug dealer, you even have a headstart on who to ask.

As long as guns exist, gun control will never be 100% effective. Especially with a country where gun worship is part of (part of) the culture. I will still take our not-100% over zero, however.

5 Likes

A guy? Hell, I know a whole country. :neutral_face:

Exactly. The standard bullshit argument used against any regulation by those opposed is that it won’t be 100% effective. Australia is a good example of what can be done when a country gets serious about gun regulation.

9 Likes

Australia does have one advantage, though. They don’t share 8,891 kilometres with firearms obsessed neighbours whose answer to every issue seems to be “moar guns, dagnabbit!”

10 Likes

[Dan Cathy’s] remarks caused politicians to call for the chain to boycotted, but [food industry expert Robert] Carter suspects the furor will be a “non-issue” for Canadians because he said once issues like these “fall out of the consciousness of consumers, it is business as usual.”

RESIST!

8 Likes

This will be… interesting. On the one hand, Toronto has embraced chains like McDonald’s and Popeye’s. On the other hand, Arby’s didn’t last long at all. I would rate Chick-Fil-A as closer to Arby’s than Popeye’s.

Uff, and if they maintain their “no opening on Sundays” rule here they may find that a problem.

Let’s hope.

7 Likes