Odd things we notice

In Michael Jackson’s Beat It video, there are pool tables but they have no pockets. You can’t win, no matter what you do. But that also means you can’t lose. “No one wants to be defeated. Show them how funky strong is your fight, it doesn’t matter who’s wrong or right.” It’s weird but it kind of makes sense in the context of those lyrics.

What kind of weird things have you noticed?

Did they make sense afterward or are they still a mystery?

4 Likes

His jacket took all of them.

4 Likes

At first I thought it might be a snookers table, but with some searching I found out it’s actually a carom billiards table.

Now if it hung from the ceiling using magnetic balls, that would be something. I guess you’d need magnetic boots too.

5 Likes

Then there’s this video…

The blondish-haired gang member in the yellow & black thin horizontally striped shirt and wearing a bandanna around his head, I always thought was Martin Kove, but upon viewing MJ’s version, it appears to be the same dancer that was in WA’s version.

Also, Seth Green is in WA’s version.

Addendum: If someone can confirm the above re the dancer, I’d feel less insane - no, really! :smiley:

1 Like

Oh yeah, I had the parachute pants like that when they were a brief fad at the time. I don’t remember how many pockets and zippers they had, but it was a lot. And they were plasticy material that didn’t breathe at all in the Texas heat, so thankfully that fad didn’t last long.

2 Likes

I think you’re right! At least the wiki says some of them were the same.

The video also features a few of the same dancers from Jackson’s video and Yankovic clumsily mimicking the dance moves from the original video. – Eat It - Wikipedia

Also a fun fact, many of the dancers were actual gang members:

To add authenticity to the production but also to foster peace between them, Jackson had the idea to cast members of rival Los Angeles street gangs Crips and Bloods. In addition to around 80 genuine gang members, the video, which is noted for opening up many job opportunities for dancers in the US, also featured 18 professional dancers and four breakdancers. – Beat It - Wikipedia

3 Likes