Olds go nostalgic for the good old days of tech

“Ten of” or “quarter of” is an East Coast US thing. I’ve never learned it. In the Midwest we say “quarter to” if the time ends in :45, or “quarter past” if the time ends in :15. At least that makes sense.

7 Likes
6 Likes

We had a few Tauri back then: an '86 sedan (which my mom actually rolled on a mountain road… thankfully uninjured), followed by an '86 wagon and then a ‘92 wagon, and yeah, the rear of the wagons’ roof racks did indeed have airfoil properties. But look also at that windshield angle. The Taurus was the first car we owned with a positively expansive dashboard area, since the windshield lay back so flat compared to our previous Ford wagon, a '78 Fairmont.

6 Likes

I recall talking to an engineer who worked for Corning, and the wind[shield/screen] design seems to have been what was technically feasible, for a number of reasons. Everybody “knew” relatively low angle screens were better, but cost, forming limitations, and surface finish were problems that had to be solved.
As a demonstration of nerdiness, we had this conversation at the Kentucky Derby (to which we had been separately invited) and she and I rapidly found talking glass technology was much more interesting than horse racing.

7 Likes

Not sure if this is a math keyboard or an Inuit keyboard.

It’s occurred to me that the Inuit alphabet uses a lot of characters that look like mathematical symbols.

4 Likes

This is a bubble car:

9 Likes

…and then there’s this:

8 Likes

Something tells me that couldn’t cope with even a tiny amount of mud on the road.

6 Likes

Ḭt͈͙̙̭̻͔̹ ͕̩͘h͍a͇̦̮s̬̭̬͙̰͠ ͙͎̜̫̀g̩̪̞͍̟͎̹o̡̞t̻̞͖̟̞̦̪ ̬̬̲̳A͚̘͚̪̜͔P̨͕͎̹̫ͅL͙͓̫̙̺̤̼ ͚̦͇̫c͓̺̭͈ͅh̨a̵͈̞̲r̢̬̦̭ac̴̻̪ț̼e͚̥r͘s̡̩̜̣̺!̯̗̤̗̬͕͚͡ ̻͍<̹͇͔̝͖̫s͕̗͙̗̺̞ͅw̹͕̹͔ọ͓͓o͏͈̩̗̤͚n̟̣̼̺̱̙̝>͔̬̫̥ͅ :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

It looks more like a personal “massage toy” than a car.

7 Likes

In the mid-70’s I inherited a '66 Dodge Dart GT, with a V8 engine. It was purchased in Hawaii, so had no heater. Moving back to the mainland required an add-on heater (Western Auto) that was not up to New York state winters when I went off to school. White originally, then repainted something like this. Drove beautifully, when not in the shop . . .

6 Likes

I was typing away today at work at it occured that someone on this thread might enjoy my daily driver…

And in just a couple of months it’ll turn 21 and we can go out for a drink…

And really, even if it got sloshed, a bit of drying out would be all that it takes to show up on Monday.

16 Likes

I don’t like the arrow keys… /nit

4 Likes

You are not the only one.

Other things people dislike…

• ISO style Enter Key
  • Windows Key remapped to the False F12 (Keys to the right)
  • Escape is the F2 on the False F2
  • Print Screen is the False F1)
  • F13 - F24 are assorted Special Characters and macros from Textfac.es

oh, and,

• BUCKLING SPRING, BITCHES!
10 Likes

I never understood “ten of.”

Or why “next friday” might not mean the next friday-- it’s thursday to day, so the next friday is tomorrow-- but the friday after that, and possibly a series of fridays not including the next friday.

And of+dative is not the English genitive-- it’s a hack to translate the Vulgar Latin and French de+ablative construction.

6 Likes

Meh, it is an old keyboard from before a start/menu/etc key was a thing I can forgive that.

4 Likes

It’s an old keyboard from before ps/2 & usb.

I have a Teensy inside running Soarer’s converter to make it work

5 Likes

This reminds me, I have a good keyboard in the closet that I need to get fixed. One of the springs overbuckled. :slightly_frowning_face: But really, there’s nothing like that feel. I think my typing speed is about 30 wpm higher on a good buckling-spring keyboard.

5 Likes

I grew up in Minnesota, where next Friday is never in the current week because that would simply be Friday. It works this way in central Wisconsin, too, but I’ve learned over the years that it doesn’t work this way in SE Michigan, where I live now. I chalk it up as yet another regionalism.

7 Likes

Wow. I didn’t realize Juki used to make printers.

I’ve always thought of them as a maker of industrial and semi-industrial sewing machines.

4 Likes