Olds go nostalgic for the good old days of tech

yeah, i actually did think about that – if this was some high-end display, he wouldn’t let people go touching them. the scarf bit was genius. the only thing that kind sours it for me is the ending – i guess Corden doesn’t realize that D&D is actually cool again. they should’ve found some really out of fashion hobby to poke at. (magic the gathering? beanie babies? i dunno)

EDIT: i forgot to thank you for confirming that what he said about the train was actually a thing! thanks!

4 Likes

Yeah thats now called hearthstone or gwent.

3 Likes

i actually play hearthstone. it’s really fun! :grin:

3 Likes

Seeing that template brings back so so so many memories of being the help desk for a pc lab. Not all of them good.

3 Likes

I currently have the space for something $$$/time… not so much. Plus there is that warhammer thing I have been avoiding for a few years.

4 Likes

cleaning out some old computer files

12 Likes

Stupid CD Tricks

This may not have been just CD, but Ghost Track. After 5-10 minutes of silence, another song pops up. First encountered on Nevermind.

Negative Track Time. I love, love, loved this on live albums. Devo Hardcore had some of the best use. If you skipped to a song, it would start playing at the song (At 0:00) If you let the tracks go one after another, it would start at say -12:30 And you’d get all the pre song banter. Sucked when I tried to rip the album as I had to go back to analog to get the banter tracks.

CDs designed for random play. Fingerprints. TMBG’s Apollo 18 was perfect. C’mon Everbody, C’mon everybody, C’mon everybody now. Thirty-six tracks with over half under 20 seconds. Leave Me Alone, leave me alone. Never the same album twice.

CDs designed to not be played on Random. NIN Broken comes to mind. 7 music tracks, 90 One second silent tracks, two Hidden tracks at track 98 and 99. The CD player I had would handle the one sec tracks fine so you’d have a little over a minute and a half of silence between track 7 and 98. But if it was on Random, play a track, seek for two seconds, play one second of silence, seek for two seconds - and, odds are - play one second of silence, seek for two seconds.

16 Likes

What’s that blue thing doing here?

The very first CD I bought was Front 242’s Front By Front. It had a hidden bonus track after a long silence, and I probably listened to the album a couple of dozen times before I realized it.

My copy of Skinny Puppy’s Last Rights had CD track markers 39 seconds off from the songs, which I assumed was on purpose to encourage people to listen to the whole thing instead of skipping around. But I learned later it was a mistake, and the first 39 seconds of the audio was also missing on some copies. :expressionless:

5 Likes

Yep. Attributing screw ups to some one being avantegard and vice versa. Sums up various bits of my life quite nicely.

The track on Nevermind caught me off guard. I’d listened to the CD three or four times always skipping back to track 1. And then one day I was cleaning the apartment and was about to go put a new CD in when the bass kicked in and I’m like WTF?

5 Likes

Anyone remember little booths you could go in, and for a quarter or two you could watch a cartoon, probably Hanna-Barbera? I remember one of these in a non-chain hamburger place I used to frequent in my tyke days. This should have been the '80s, although I suspect the booth was a holdover from the '70s.

ETA: Actually it might have been a Dairy Queen at the time, and only later became non-chain.

4 Likes

Not those, but I remember little 10"-ish B&W coin operated TVs at select seats in the GEG airport. $.25 got 15 minutes I think.

7 Likes

I actually got to use one of those because someone left a little time on one.

6 Likes

It wasn’t a cartoon. It was a naked lady.

10 Likes

Yes.

I think the Northridge Boston Store has one of those. Or perhaps it was Gimbels.

5 Likes

One’s wrist got so tired. (From cranking the handle, I mean). :blush:

NSFW

11 Likes

Is that what we’re calling it now?

9 Likes

I can’t speak for everyone.
But yes.

6 Likes

I remember one particularly amusing Stupid Vinyl Trick. A buddy of mine and I started collecting some comedy records we admired in the mid-80s, mostly George Carlin’s back catalog, but he also ended up with Monty Python’s Matching Tie and Handkerchief on vinyl, mostly because it included the Cheese Shop sketch. After listening to it several times over the course of several months, one day I accidentally bumped the tone arm… and suddenly started hearing new material we’d never heard before. Indeed, it turned out that they’d mastered Side 2 with two concentric grooves on it, each about half the length of Side 1’s normal single groove due to space limitations.

It was a three-sided record!!

16 Likes

I (or a friend) had the cassette of that album and I remember some stuff at the beginning of side two that implied that the Album was deluxe version or some such and just chalked it up to Odd Python Intro. I bet it was alluding to the hidden track.

6 Likes

I used to have Cheese Shop memorized, cold.
Why? Why did I memorize it? I didn’t even try, it just happened.

7 Likes