Options for SMS/texting without a Smartphone?

A lot of things depend on text messages.

Is there a way to recieve them without a smartpain or a smartpain subscription?

Feature phones still exist, but most/all of them have a screen of some sort, although I was able to find one with an e-ink screen pretty easily. They’re not that cheap, and they would still need a phone plan to work.

I’m reasonably certain the Google Voice is still around. You should be able to get a number that way and use it to text and make calls without a plan. It being a Google service, though, means that its days are likely numbered.

Also, it bears mentioning that if you’re using SMS for multi-factor authentication, you should try to use a more secure method if at all possible. Not all services support more secure methods, but definitely consider using them where you can.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with any of this stuff. We have a standard phone phone, but when I answer a call I only ever get a busy signal.

It’s free:

https://voice.google.com/u/0/calls

You get a number for free. You can choose your area code so you get one in your local area or close to it. You can select your number.

You receive notifications you have received a text in your email.

It has an interface on the computer for texting.

Texting is also a feature of any phone, even dumb phones. You can then connect it to your computer Phone app. Here is how you do it on Microsoft, for example.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, voice.google.com, like most ways to receive text messages “without” a smart/cell phone, requires a smart/cell phone number. I wouldn’t be surprised if it also requires a smart/cell phone which can recieve text messages for “authentication” too…

https://jmp.chat/ might work

Looks like useful advice. I wrote up my requirements and checked local stores. T-Mobile wanted to sell me a fancy smartphone for $117 for 2 months; AT&T for $30 for 1 month; Verizon admitted they didn’t have anything that could work. I don’t know what reasonable rates for very occasional use would be.

1 Like

Currently I own an iPhone X that I purchased in Israel (probably restored and not new as they claimed). I have a SIM card in it from Keepgo. I use Google Voice as my main number and don’t have a regular plan.

1 Like

I got a KaiOS Nokia Pain and a Tello account. I have tried reducing screen brightness and all the hidden volume settings, but I still can’t look directly at the screen, and I have an awful migraine.

1 Like