Our ex-so-called president

3 Likes

I just read this a couple hours ago.

2 Likes

There was a flag thrown on this. I decided to select ignore because I didn’t want a negative rating to you since the issue is within the media you quote and not your own language.

I thought it would be more valuable to discuss the word “moron” and why that is considered a slur and some of the context. I feel like it’s one of those words that a lot of people aren’t aware is problematic.

I’ll open a thread in the site management section when I’m at a keyboard.

2 Likes

But remember - it wasn’t considered a slur when the script was written and the movie released. That’s an actual line from the movie.

That doesn’t make it less incorrect, but I wanted to give it context.

2 Likes

Most notably, a passage in the recalled version of the book that accused specific, named nonprofit organizations of involvement in illegal “ballot trafficking” has been rewritten, softening certain claims and outright removing the names of the groups. Separately, sections of the book that purported to link election fraud to antifa and the Black Lives Matter movement have also been deleted.

D’Souza had previously described left-wing nonprofits as “doing vote trafficking.”

The newly-released book tones down that phrase to “potentially storing ballots.”

And the names of specific nonprofits that D’Souza accused of election fraud have all been removed.

Now, in lieu of listing specific groups, D’Souza writes, “True the Vote shared their names with me and has offered to make them available as needed to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.”

The New Georgia Project, a group that focuses on registering and mobilizing young voters and voters of color, was one of the groups named in the recalled book.

“We’re always happy when someone who has been discredited takes our name out of their mouths,” said a New Georgia Project spokesperson in a message to NPR.

4 Likes

There’s already a thread:

4 Likes

I have not watched the video yet, but it’s an overview of the Trump Cult. Apparently the theology mixes Christian Nationalist politics from America and pro-Apartheid politics from South Africa. And the book is being passed out at Trump Rallies.

2 Likes

There’s a whole section where the guy doing the video tries to interpret people’s faces… sigh

2 Likes

3 Likes
7 Likes

(Judge Amy Berman) Jackson also pointed out the irony that Fanone was attacked under a Blue Lives Matter flag. The people attacking Fanone “didn’t think Blue Lives mattered much at all” when officers were standing in their way, she said.

It’s almost as if symbols like that flag are just used as cover for whatever terrible things the group wants to do.

As far as I can tell, since the various news stories are light on details, is that this sentence is for the single charge of “assault on a police officer”. Setting aside my general distaste for having different sentencing guidelines for crimes committed against police vs. everyone else, I guess that seems somewhat reasonable? Does anyone know if he’s been charged with anything else related to January 6th? This seems like it’s not the only crime he committed that day.

I was curious whether or not this conviction would prevent him from voting in the future.

According to the ACLU (for Tennessee):

Those convicted of murder, rape, treason, or voter fraud are permanently disenfranchised, absent a pardon.

For those convicted of other felonies, a “certificate of restoration” may be obtained from prison authorities or from the Board of Probation and Parole. Applicants must have paid all court-ordered fines, fees and restitution and, if applicable, must be current in child support payments.

So it looks like this conviction would not disenfranchise him. I have mixed feelings about that, and I’m not very proud of that.

It does raise a more general question though. If I am convicted of a crime that would prevent me from voting in a given state (upon release), can I just move to a less restrictive state?

9 Likes

It’s clear that “attempting to overthrow democracy” is not a valid charge. Up to the demos to enforce it I guess.

4 Likes

I know a person convicted of a felony in one state, and now living in a different state, where they re-grant voting rights after submitting paperwork. They do indeed vote. So I believe the answer is yes.

4 Likes

General advice: Avoid Florida.

3 Likes

I mean… is there even any context needed for that advice? :wink:

(Ok, ok, there’s lots of really nice areas in FL. And yet…)

7 Likes
8 Likes

Ah yes, the appeasement strategy, because that works so well with unhinged dictatorial people who have large cult followings.

6 Likes

Again with the “peekaboo” bullshit…

5 Likes

Tonight, he’ll docket his response demanding that the committee burn any copies and pretend they never saw them.

Which is objectively hilarious since Politico published the emails hours ago, thanks to Eastman’s dimwitted failure to disable the Dropbox link he used to forward them to the committee. So when the committee attached the email where Eastman’s lawyer said that he intended to seek a stay from the Ninth Circuit and invited the recipient to pretend that such a motion had not only been filed, but also granted, reporters just clicked on the link and got ’em.

2 Likes

If you’re actually good at something more than making money, and you use it to make people happy, it isn’t so necessary to play these me-me-me games to get all those tens of thousands of ardent supporters. Car dealers of America Unite! Barf.

1 Like