Our Felonious Ex-President

It’s noteworthy that their source for that piece of “wisdom” was Joe “I miss the days when we still had open segregationists in the party” Biden.

2 Likes

Humans are pretty good at knowing when at least one of a human’s motives is “I have to get away with it.”

3 Likes

Seems to me that Nazism is a form of bullying (to put it nicely), in that the practitioners are bullies who want to have absolute power over others – and they bully because they can’t get power legitimately. But bullies are also often weak and cowardly, and will sometimes crumple when people put up resistance. Perhaps that’s why they have remained hidden all these years; the rest of have said “NO!” often enough and in a firm enough voice to keep them cowed. Unfortunately they have surfaced and gained strength because of the republicans’ thirst for absolute power. The only answer is by showing moral courage and strength; showing them that WE WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT ACCEPT IT. If that means the bastards complain about being thrown out of restaurants, well, fuck 'em.

7 Likes

Thread. I do think Marcotte is onto something when she points out the larger pattern of who can say what, with which consequences.

11 Likes

I put something in the Nazification thread that probably belongs here instead:

10 Likes

FYI - you have a hanging colon at the end of the URL, which leads to a dead link. I was able to get to the post just by deleting the colon.

4 Likes

Kennedy was kind of a shit, but I’m going to sit on my knees and gasp for a bit.

8 Likes

Uggh. This is much worse than Gorsuch replacing Scalia. That was a like-for-like replacement. This is the most moderate of the ideological conservatives being replaced by someone who is likely going to be far right, if not alt-right.

This is going to have an impact on the ideological balance of the SCOTUS for decades.

8 Likes

Not decades. Permanently.

The USSC is the supreme arbiter of electoral fraud. The GOP will not allow themselves to lose the Presidency so long as they are in charge of administering the elections. They have no interest in performing that task honestly.

The situation can be changed, but not by incrementalism.

4 Likes

fixed

1 Like
10 Likes

I so desperately want you to be wrong, but you’re not wrong.

2 Likes

Keep in mind my last sentence, though.

Nothing is permanent if the people decide to change it.

4 Likes

Yes. There will have to be a revolution coming.

That scares me easily as much as the other thing.

3 Likes

It’s not a relaxing prospect, no.

But in the long run, it could save the world. What came before wasn’t sustainable.

6 Likes

Slacktivist has a nice piece today in which he talks about the enormity of what the Evangelical world has to do to right all the wrongs, but is a good reminder for those of us feeling that same enormity of what we would have to happen to put us back on track…it’s an enormous task, but people CAN choose to work together to do it: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2018/06/27/the-task-at-hand-for-white-evangelicalism/

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing that. I needed some hope today.

5 Likes

Brilliant analogy.

FTA:

White evangelical Christians are finally recognizing that there’s something wrong with their faith.

I’ve got the feeling that that only a small minority do, but maybe that’s just my typical cynicism/pessimism.

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure the whole religion is based on racism.

4 Likes

Revolutions are exciting for young people because

• Their own personal lives have been revolutionized several times in the previous few years. The world treats them completely differently than it did when they were little kids. They feel like revolutions are normal and expected and make things better.

• They are confident they can run really fast. Faster than cops, faster than Nazi thugs.

I am no longer young.

13 Likes