Our Felonious Ex-President

I have empathy for human suffering, even her. I’ll have the bandwidth for actually feeling bad for her when the tremendous suffering of refugees is solved.

8 Likes

So do I, but I’m selective about letting myself feel it.

Exactly.

6 Likes

I’m trying to find the article I read, but the slogan is a fascist slogan that was popular around her neck of the woods.

2 Likes

Why not both? Working from the point of view of North American monolingualism, we tend to look at language skills as an intellectual achievement. Multiple languages don’t actually reflect very much about a person’s intellect; even quite dumb Europeans may have more than three.

However, if you look at her life choices, there is/was a tendency for look for the easiest way out of the Balkans, the easiest way to Easy Street. In my experience (which admittedly may not be worth much), that usually betokens a lack of long range thinking - the costs of such choices aren’t usually immediately evident. Is she complicit? Almost by definition, given those choices. Is she perhaps less than the brightest bulb in the chandelier? Quite possibly.

5 Likes

If you are a Bill Plympton animation fan, this is for you. Even you don’t know who he is, this is for you. It’s fricken hilarious.

7 Likes

I had no idea Bill Plympton was still alive and kicking, let alone kicking ass with his satirical animation; good for him!

7 Likes

dystopia achievement unlocked, i think

4 Likes
13 Likes

I’d chock it up to postpartum sleep deprivation, but it does have a certain horrifying ring to it, no?

3 Likes

No water left on the surface of YOUR planet, colonist! Hold onto that company scrip!

3 Likes

Should we have a Civil War Watch thread?

6 Likes

Read this:

https://twitter.com/omearan/status/1011238058560229378?s=19

The media is helping this admin. It doesn’t matter what side of the fence they, or anyone else, say they’re on.

5 Likes

It was the same thing we saw with Harpo in Canada, at least for the first five years. It’s this weird “they’re in power, so we have to give them a pass” attitude. Even more bizarre when everyone knows damn well they lost the popular vote

5 Likes

One thing I find interesting is the Streisand effect going on here. If Sanders had followed the ethics guidelines and not tweeted about it on her professional account, or taken her lumps and not tweeted about it at all, this wouldn’t even be a news story. It’s a news story because she made an unethical stink about it. Acted uncivil, even.

10 Likes

https://twitter.com/b_fung/status/1011605767349264385?s=19

6 Likes

Copying this from a status I can’t figure out how to share otherwise.
Giovanni Tiso wrote a short and enlightening essay today about the history of “I Really Don’t Care” in Italian: https://overland.org.au/2018/06/a-brief-fascist-history-of-i-dont-care/ I don’t really speak Italian, so I didn’t realize this right away, but “Me Ne Frego,” or “I don’t really care,” was the slogan of the World War I Arditi, the Italian stormtroopers. It came from the writings of the soldier poet and proto-Fascist Gabrielle d’Annunzio, who led Arditi veterans in taking the city of Fiume in Croatia after the war, a brief nationalist revolution that indirectly led to Mussolini’s seizure of power in 1922 (I’ll post a link to Tiso’s piece in the comments).

Here’s what’s startling to me, after finding this out. I have been to northeastern Italy, and just across the border into Slovenia. You cannot drive through the smallest village in this region without seeing a monument or cemetery dedicated either to the World War I dead, the Fascists, or the defeat of the Fascists by Communist Yugoslav partisans and Italian antifa geurrillas at the end of World War II. Streets everywhere are named after Fascists or antifascists. There are references to d’Annunzio everywhere. There’s some photos here of some of these monuments, in Redupuglia, Trieste, the Val Di Risondra and elsewhere.

But as I said, I don’t speak Italian and was only there for two weeks.

Melania Trump was born in Novo Mesto, a city in Slovenia which was part of first Fascist Italy, then the Third Reich in World War II. Her father was a Yugoslav Communist Party member, from a village which has three large mass graves from the struggle against the Fascists and Nazis. She went to school and first worked in Lubljana, a city full of references to the fight against Fascism. She started her modelling career there before moving on to Milan, the city where Mussolini was executed after a mass uprising against the Nazis and Fascists. She speaks Italian.

Let me repeat that: Melania Trump speaks Italian.

When you add to this the fact that Fascists have just had an electoral victory in Italy, that there are active Fascist street movements everywhere there today, actively resurrecting and using the Fascist slogans and mottos of the 1920s and '30’s (including “I Don’t Really Care”), that admirers of these movements have worked and do work in the White House, from Steve Bannon to Sebastian Gorka to Stephen Miller, and that Zara, the jacket manufacturer has previously been controversial for producing a swastika themed handbag and a shirt with a concentration camp Jewish star on it, it is impossible for me to think that this signalling was not intentional.

Some may think the jacket is a distraction from the very real threats facing our country and world right now, from scapegoating of vulnerable immigrants and refugees to the stripping of the social safety net and the destruction of workplace and environmental protections. I firmly believe it is not. The First Lady of the United States, who grew up in the heartland of symbolic contestation over Fascist symbols and mottos, wore a Fascist message jacket from a company with a history of Fascist messaging.

I care about that very, very much.

15 Likes
4 Likes
7 Likes

Seen what Detrow and Inskeep are up to today?

Apparently they think “you must always accept the claimed motivations of politicians at face value” should be a journalistic norm now.

It is very difficult to believe that the mainstream US media could fail this badly through incompetence alone.

5 Likes

Um, yeah, sometimes I have a damn good guess at what someone’s motives might be.

3 Likes