Our Felonious Ex-President

What a week it’s been for dear leader.
Monday

Friday

11 Likes

…which is why, over at the other place, I’m having a bit of trouble holding my temper with the people using immigrant detention as an excuse to once again wheel out “but her emails!” memes so they can blame the horrors of the border on anyone who criticised HRC.

Yes, Trump is worse, and yes, the policy of automatic child separation is new. But pretty much all of the rest of the system was deliberately created by Obama, Bush and the Clintons, and nobody except for the “radical” activists gave a shit about it until last week.

If not for Trump being President, it is very likely that many of those folks still wouldn’t give a shit.

5 Likes

I mean, seriously.

“We have a shortage of people to do unskilled labour! What should we do about it?”

“Import labour?”

“No, we don’t like foreigners.”

“Raise wages?”

“That’ll cut into our profit margins!”

“Provide childcare, or hospice care, so that caregivers can leave home and become employed?”

“…You’re kidding, right?”

“Hehehe. Yeah. Wait, I know! Let’s starve people!”

“Perfect!”

12 Likes

Thread:

6 Likes

The horror never stops.

3 Likes

Remember, do what you can do.

5 Likes

“Because she works for Donald Trump” seems like such a weak way of putting it.

3 Likes

Well, polite at least.

2 Likes

We don’t have a time machine.

Yes, you’re right; the fuckery didn’t start with 45 and it won’t end there, but unless we deal with the overt threat in our faces right now, everything could end badly a whole lot sooner than it would have under “the lesser evil.”

That doesn’t let anyone off the hook; horrible fuckers with neoliberal agendas did horrible things that paved the road we’re on currently. It’s true. But you need to realize that looking backward to assign blame is counterproductive right now.

Lastly, I’d direct you to watch the scene in Stranger Things where the journalist talks to Mike and Nancy about exposing the lab that opened the rift; his analogy about the ‘curtain behind the curtain’ and vodka is highly relevant.

10 Likes

To reiterate:

In other words, like you said, the job is to recognise that we done fucked up an be better now and into the future. Dwelling on how bad we were isn’t going to let us move forward.

11 Likes

7 Likes
15 Likes
15 Likes

4 Likes

These fuckers are missing all three and the shoes.

2 Likes

You do realize she can speak multiple languages, which isn’t uncommon for people from the Balkans, right? She’s not dumb, she’s complicit. That’s the problem.

9 Likes

Why not both?

4 Likes

Because I don’t think she’s dumb. She’s perfectly capable of speaking english and several other languages (Slovenian, Serbo-Croatian, and probably several others). she’s not a victim and she hasn’t stumbled into anything blindly. She’s complicit.

7 Likes

After the jacket stunt, I completely agree with you.

Her marriage may be loveless and miserable, but she’s still not suffering the way everyone affected by her shithead husband’s policies are…

10 Likes

I might be reading too much into it, but I feel like she has a capacity for subtlety that her husband lacks. The jacket, and the pussy bow top the day after the Access Hollywood tape, are what I’m thinking of, specifically.

She’s totally on his team, but it comes across as incongruous because she is able to visually portray classiness in a way that is confusing next to dictator-chic-gaudiness.

Now, class as a way of behaving in the world, that’s a whole different ball of wax.

4 Likes