Our Felonious Ex-President

8 Likes

I guess it’s tear-gassing (or pepper spraying or whatever) people in the US vs. tear-gassing people perceived as threats in other countries. Both national and international are terrible. Along with Agent Orange, napalm, chlorine, mustard gas, McDonalds . . . .

2 Likes

This is being disputed. There’s question of whether the border guards shot into Mexican territory. If they did, that’s a chemical attack on a bordering country.

3 Likes

The US refused to sign the protocols banning tear gas, IIRC. As with many other arms limitation treaties (e.g. land mines, cluster bombs).

American troops in Afghanistan carry CS grenades.

4 Likes

Is allowing the gas to waft across the border into a neighboring country ok under the various treaties? Sounds dubious.

5 Likes
10 Likes
1 Like

The US Border Patrol routinely fires across the border to murder Mexican children. This is relatively minor.

7 Likes

I know. I originally wrote that the US will get away with it (the tear gas crossing the border) whatever the treaties said, but decided that no one here wasn’t well aware of that.

6 Likes
11 Likes

So… reinvent CSPAN to show what Trump wants? And still no one will watch it. :laughing:

8 Likes

FTA:

Law professor Richard Painter, who was the chief White House ethics counsel in the Bush administration from 2005 to 2007, tweeted that Trump’s proposed network sounds “Just like Pravda, the Reich Propaganda Ministry and other fine examples of state-run media.”

or Fox news, he should have added.

We have a friend at Voice of America. I’ll have to ask her if the administration is pushing its agenda onto what goes out.

9 Likes

The provincial Cons in Ontario have something called Ontario News Now which is basically Pravda for the provincial Tory party. When they are in power, like now, they fund it from the public purse.

The federal Cons, starting with Mulroney but getting worse/more under Harper have a similar “service”, with similar funding. Meanwhile they love to bitch about how much the CBC costs.

Cons around the world claim they need such media outlets because of “liberal media bias”, yet media moguls are notoriously conservative (Rupert Murdoch, Conrad Black, and the list goes on).

8 Likes

I mean… we do that overseas (Voice of America)… and we DO have a TV network that’s publicly funded… it’s called Public Broadcasting.

Also, as @RatMan noted… there is C-span!

8 Likes

There’s definitely a world of difference between “government sponsored media” and “government propaganda” though. The former have more independence, for starters.

6 Likes

Oh this is juicy.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Is there a rubbing hands with anticipatory glee emoji?

6 Likes

9 Likes

7 Likes