Our Felonious Ex-President

If insulting McCain for being a POW won’t shake veterans’ support, nothing will.

5 Likes

I need to get out to the library more often–I only recognize Martha Cooley’s name, and that was from years and years ago. But I agree with the sentiment.

3 Likes

Loved that.

It goes back to an ongoing theme with Trump, though – journalists, notably at the Times, appear to be scared shitless to call lies “lies”, threats “threats”, bribes “bribes”, and so on.

5 Likes

… and extortion “extortion”.

5 Likes

I think there’s traditionally considered to be a difference between making a sacrifice and performing one.

7 Likes

Throw enough friends (“friends”) under the bus and you might end up feeling like climbing up on the cross to complain about it. When you have no soul, projection stands in for insight.

3 Likes

I recall a cartoon with a TV set showing a murder caught in the act, where you can see the travel of a bullet from a gun right through the head of the victim, with the fellow holding the gun labeled “alleged shooter.” Of course that may be a legal thing, but it points to the tentative nature of the news.

3 Likes

The guardian is sometimes very circumspect in how it identifies suspects. I assume that it’s a UK thing.

2 Likes

In cases like that, being blunt can prejudice a subsequent court case - think of the Central Park Five. However, our media has taken gormlessness to heart. In most news, one side’s interpretation/presentation of the (putative) facts is frequently much less credible than another’s, and, consonant with the legal rights of the subjects of a news story, it really is the duty of journalism to point this out. Instead, we get a lot of “He said… She said…”

3 Likes

My friend Karen Bender is one of the signers on that piece

3 Likes

eh. It’s a value judgement What do you “value” in a military defeat? Decisiveness in a campaign? Lopsidedness? Bloodshed?

For every waterloo, there’s a leipzig or an austerlitz.

In a new book, Ms Haley says then-Chief of Staff John Kelly and then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson told her to resist some of Mr Trump’s demands.

Ms Haley says Mr Kelly and Mr Tillerson told her they “weren’t being subordinate, they were trying to save the country”.

“It was their decisions, not the president’s, that were in the best interests of America, they said,” she wrote in her book With All Due Respect, which was seen by the Washington Post before its release on Tuesday.

Mr Tillerson, she added, told her people would die if the president were not restrained.

Ms Haley, 47, said she had refused the request from Mr Kelly and Mr Tillerson, and called it “dangerous” and “offensive”.

Mr Trump tweeted his approval of the book, writing: “Good luck Nikki!”

1 Like

The president’s soon tried to create a media event and didn’t quite get what he asked for.

At first, Trump and Guilfoyle tried to ignore the discontent, which originated with a fringe group of America Firsters who believe the Trump administration has been taken captive by a cabal of internationalists, free-traders, and apologists for mass immigration.

I have some bad news for the America Firsters.

3 Likes

I wonder what this year’s episode will contain? Plus, the TP on the shoe; did the flunkies not see it, or did they just decide to let it stay?

2 Likes

Unreal

3 Likes

What’s so disturbing to me is that the WashPo reported today that the Republicans are drawing together and none of them will break ranks in the impeachment. It is very upsetting that not one of them will put our country ahead of their party. This man is clearly not well and yet they allow him to stay in this position of power over us.

5 Likes

Alas I’m not surprised. Ethically-challenged (i.e., evil, greedy, corrupt) people are naturally drawn to that party and have been for decades.

3 Likes

I think it’s like a cult, in that research has shown that if something goes wrong (the Rapture doesn’t occur on a specific date, for example) the still-somewhat-thinking cult members start to question things and end up leaving, so who is left are the True Believers™ who double- and triple-down on their commitment to the cause and their perception that it’s them against everyone else.

6 Likes

Yeah there are some true believers in congress, but I think even most of them don’t really believe anything other than advancing themselves.

Could it be also that they are a bit scared they might be caught in the web Trump’s been spinning (not to insult spiders) and be prosecuted themselves?

4 Likes

craziest “solution”

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-11-13/trump-impeachment-there-s-another-way-to-cleanse-the-white-house

As with impeachment, the chance that such a plan would work is remote. For one thing, Trump would have to go along. But there are good reasons for him to be open to persuasion, and there’d be political and procedural advantages.

Here’s how the process might work: The House of Representatives could begin with articles of impeachment, to put Trump’s “high crimes and misdemeanors” on the record.

But then instead of transmitting them to the U.S. Senate, the House would pass and send a bill instead. The preamble would recite the grounds adopted for impeachment, and then take note of Trump’s denials and his claim of innocence. That’s how documents settling legal disputes are often drafted.

Then would come the operative clause: Trump would agree to resign within 30 days of enactment in return for a broad grant of immunity from future criminal prosecution and civil liability for himself and his family, including his son-in-law, Jared Kushner. It would cover events and disputes that took place during Trump’s term in office and just before (consistent with statutes of limitation), and bind both federal and state authorities. Perhaps a more limited immunity grant could also be extended to his attorneys, counselors and chiefs of staff, at least with respect to matters pertaining to the impeachment.

so as with Nixon, we’ll never get to see how deep the rabbithole goes.

3 Likes